Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday

Here is a great postcard...doesn't that ear of corn look delicious?

I went to the grocery store (Winco, naturally) and got our weekly $50.00 worth of food....I don't know how we are making to feed 4 people on $200 a month but we are...they still had bananas at the sale price of .18 cents a lb so got more of those and the 10 # bags of potatoes were still at .78 so stocked up for Thanksgiving....I use cream of chicken soup for gravy...its very delicious and alot cheaper than the jarred gravy...can get a big can for less than two dollars that makes 4 cups of gravy...instead of using water to dilute it, I use chicken broth. Evaporated milk was on sale, so I got two cans for pies...we bought a pumpkin for Halloween and didn't carve it, so next week, I'll cut it up, bake it and use it for pie...if there is enough left, will freeze the rest for pumpkin bread or muffins.
Turkeys seem to be high this year....even Winco cheapest was .87 cents a lb. and they were low on their stock...the freezer case was over half empty...
We are owed quite a bit of money again and like always, everyone takes their time paying us. Sure makes it hard to pay bills on time and plan for holiday dinners.....last Christmas was very hard, we had to borrow to stay afloat but this year seems to be alot better, thank the Lord!
***********************************************************************************
I think the next thing here in California, and perhaps in other states is that eggs are going to go up in price....we had a prop. 2, that passed requiring egg producers to have larger cages for their hens, and let them free range....the one large egg ranch here in town is going to be moving out of state...they say its cheaper than having to adjust to the new requirements.The dumb thing is
on the ads they ran, they showed veal calves been forced into tiny dark stalls...looked really sad..come to find out, there is no veal being raised in California.
So we will probably look into getting a few hens and having eggs ourselves...our yard is large enough...I've talked about this before, but its going to be time to get more serious..I know there is alot of information online about keeping hens. I have alot of questions....Alan is so handy, I know he could build a nice coop for them. I just wonder about keeping them comfortable with our hot summers and cold winters. It doesn't get near as cold here as in most of the country but it does get down to freezing and has lightly snowed at times. Our summers cook here, over 100 lots of days.
*************************************************************************************
I joined Flicker today and downloaded a few vintage embroidery patterns...these are very old and have been featured in my other blog..made them public so if you want to see any of them..
just click here

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty postcard, Dani!

    Sounds like you're doing a marvelous job of managing those gorcery dollars. We've been eating lots of beans ... and loving it.

    About those chickens? I shared our coop plans with Naomi and I'd be happy to share them with you too if you're interested. Just let me know and I'll email them.

    We sure do enjoy the fresh eggs that we're getting from our hens. Even 2 a day a big help.

    Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, do I know what you are talking about, having your own business and not getting paid on time! We used to have a private investigation company. We required a downpayment, of course, before we would begin work, but we ran into all sorts of problems collecting the balances owed to us when the job was done. Several people even filed bankruptcy and listed us on their bankruptcy to keep from paying. Others forced us to have to file a Collection on them. It was just awful. We lived hand to mouth in those years....there was never enough money to pay our salaries when everything else had been paid, so our own finances were a mess. If I were you, I would get it all up front. You hate to do that, but it seems like it is just necessary. Best of luck with your business, though...it sounds like it is growing and that is wonderful!

    I don't understand about using Widgets...what are they? I noticed you can add them to your blog, but there is no explanation about what they are. Your list of them indicates they can be quite a number of different things....do you have to know html to add them? For instance, I wanted to add a map with all the locations of my visitors around the world highlighted, but I never could figure out how to add that.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Veteran's Day post is awesome! I also love flicker, I am there as frstyfrolk. There are several great groups to join and share your photos. I got a LOT Of magazines with all kinds of patterns for needlework of all kinds.

    I will ask yo to be my friend there, Huggies Dani!

    smiles, cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dani- I'm so egg-cited (sorry) about you getting chickens!! I know you would enjoy them so much!
    I would love to know how you're buying your groceries for $50 a week- that's pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?