Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday morning, we got woke up early by a contractor call...turns out Alan already re keyed the house he was calling about on Saturday but it was ok...we needed to get up...I've been really lazy with this cold...been sleeping in and going to bed early too.....Nyquil every evening.....it really helps. My energy is coming back a little so I know I am getting better but still feel kinda lousy.

We will have to get the turkey out so it will be thawed by Thursday....I usually sit it in the sink with cold water and put it in the fridge at night....is that what you do?
We are just going to have a traditional turkey dinner, mashed potatoes, gravy, fruit salad, yams, rolls, green bean casserole, and pie......everyone likes the traditional menu and won't let me change anything.....we do differently on Christmas....and sometimes grill steaks outside if it isn't raining.
My grandmother (dad's mom) always said when she was young, they had clam chowder on Christmas eve...it was a tradition...there must have been a New England influence there in the past. I like clam chowder but as I am allergic to shellfish, have to abstain. Grandma's family were strict Methodist's and didn't allow anything to be done on Sunday but go to church and read the Bible.....no playing either on Sunday except Bible related toys....must to have been hard to be a child on Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. I think your menu sounds wonderful! I am only doing the desserts and a salad for the Thanksgiving dinner to which we were invited. Will probably cook one of the turkeys I bought on sale just so DH and I can have plenty of delicious leftovers! We eat Mexican food on Christmas Eve - that is from my side of the family - preferably tamales but sometimes tacos. So glad you are feeling better - and I thaw a turkey in the cold water usually - right now I have a 20 pounder in the garage refrigerator for a day or two then will see if it is thawing at all. I don't have to do it for Thursday so no big pressure. Your method sounds quite safe and efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're beginning to feel better.

    I moved my turkey from the freezer to the fridge yesterday morning. I generally allow it three days to thaw inside the fridge. In the past when it didn't get thawed enough in time, I have had to move it to a bathtub full of water the night before. We have a small bird this year, since it will likely be only the three of us, so I think it should be thawed in plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say, those are GORGEOUS roses you posted! Hope your family has an awesome Thanksgiving!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?