Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Recipe


Yesterday, I made some cranberry biscottia that was so good, I have to share the recipe with you...hadn't made biscottia in about two years but decided it was time...these are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle...really great with coffee or tea

Dried Cranberry Biscottia

2 1/2 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 t. almond extract
1 1/2 c. dried cranberries

Preheat your oven to 350. Line baking pan with parchment paper (I just used Pam). Combine dry ingrediants, stir well to blend. With mixer, beat eggs, sugar, butter and extract. Add and mix into flour mixture. Mix in cranberries.

Divide dough in half. Using floured hands shape into two logs. Bake 30-35 minutes.
Cool completely. Slice logs into 1/2 inch slices with serrated knife and bake slices
10 minutes. Turn over and bake additional 5 minutes.

Makes about 3 dozen.
My mistake was when I took them out of the oven the first time, I didn't wait for the logs to cool before cutting...so several slices broke apart. Other than that, these are very yummy.
Even the kids like them...I sent four back with Don as he came home to do laundry yesterday.
I think I will make some sugar free ones for Alan...just use Splenda instead of sugar..and maybe use chopped dates instead of cranberries....these are fairly sweet so I think you could cut back a little on the sugar..
*************************************************************************************


Alan brought home a turkey yesterday..a nice 20 lb. one + all the makings for the big day....last year we bought one of those completely cooked meals you get at the deli...turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, etc. it comes in a big box...it was very good but no leftovers much and we all like turkey sandwiches, and turkey casseroles later....turkey is expensive this year around here..I teased him and said we'd have turkey TV dinners but he got some extra work and the store was having a sale so we saved big time. So thankful. He even managed to get two bags of fresh cranberries for his relish he likes to make every year.

3 comments:

  1. Those biscotti look pretty good. And of course I like your TG postcard. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this neat recipe Dani. It looks yummy! I freeze cranberries and I will print this. I will make it and have with coffee for breakfast. I love pastries!

    Smiles, cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought grocery sales were pretty widespread! Mom got a 15 pound turkey for $4.95!!!! Sorry if yours was a lot. Hope you can get lots of leftovers out of it!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?