Thursday, May 14, 2009

I was just looking at headlines and saw this one "Wholesale Prices Rise More than Expected"....this has to do with food more than anything....with the San Joaquin valley being virtually closed down over a little fish....the country's vegetable basket is drying up.....
The green environmentalists here in California are very aggressive and I believe have turned from worshiping the Creator to worshiping the creation....and the rest of us are going to suffer for it....hence, you'd better start a garden or know someone who has one....

The last time we went to Winco, our favorite discount grocery store, I got alot less for my money...so I am going to a different tact, using as many coupons as I can, store brands and hit all the sales....Winco is still good for some things...their produce is still less than the regular stores but not by much....buy staples like flour, oatmeal, etc. in bulk. we can get 50# bags of flour at Costco and keep it in the freezer until needed. much cheaper that way.

Looking at the garden, we think we can start harvesting a few things in a few days...mainly the crook neck squash and perhap a few tomatoes....we planted quite a bit of squash....crook neck and zucchini....may get sick of it after awhile but I do have quite a few recipes for zucchini based things from my favorite of fried zucchini with scrambled eggs, to zucchini breads and cakes...which can be frozen and used this winter.....
we are also lucky in living in a climate with two growing seasons...we can replant this fall and have peas and cooler crop items almost to Christmas....I'd like to plant some pumpkins and winter squash too but don't really have the room, unless we dig up more of the grass....perhaps as the corn grows up, I can plant some between the rows...

I remember this happening years ago...when Jimmy Carter was president, times were tough too....high inflation, stagnet economy....we will survive but it will probably be quite a while before things get better......I can not understand anyone thinking that you get get out of debt by spending more....its like finding yourself in a hole, and keep digging......is there any common sense anymore?

3 comments:

  1. as I recall from my grandparents' gardens - they DID plant winter squash and pumpkins between the corn rows. I thought I could easily find a tostada recipe I used to use all the time which called for zucchini but haven't found it yet. yes things are hard and we just got word a small (I mean tiny) pension we've gotten for a couple of years will be cancelled due to the funds drying up. BUT the Lord does provide and we are expected to depend on Him - getting more creative in how we cook and eat (used to always eat local and seasonal - until we got "rich" and began to have things flown in from south america in off season) - so we'll be rich with local foods and God's love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finding the same things here in Florida, Dani! Prices up, up and away!!!! I'm eating cheaper and cheaper cuts of meat --- and lots of time NO meat at all. Yesterday, I didn't even get one thing from the meat counter. I'm trying to stock up on the same things you are. I think I'm going to see if a fall garden will work better here in Florida. We usually don't get frost until February, so it should work!!!!

    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could grow things here, but at least I can try to be thrifty and use coupons like you say --

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?