Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday Pet of the Week



This is Rusty, a long haired chihuahua...he is 4 years old, a little timid and shy, needs a forever home....he has been brought back to the shelter several times through no fault of his own...this is hard on dogs just as with people...
The 10 commandments of Dog Ownership
1. My life is likely to last 10 - 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you adopt me.
2. Give me time to understand what it is that you want from me. I need to go to a basic obedience class so I can learn what you do want, not just what you don't want.

3. Place your trust in me...it's crucial to my well being.
4. Don't be angry at me for long and don't hit me or lock me up as a punishment. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when you are speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7. Please be gentle and kind to me. Remember I have teeth and claws that could easily hurt you, but only fear or pain will cause me to use them.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember that I love you ..

In our neighborhood, we see some mistreatment of dogs....mainly through neglect..people are working, and busy with their lives and the poor dog is stuck in the back yard all alone for days...they are not bad people...just ignorant ones who do not realize that a dog is a pack animal, and they are his pack...when he is ignored, he feels that he is being punished. The dog in turn gets bored, barks, digs, chews, etc. to relieve the boredom and then gets into trouble when the owners come home...sad ...

one neighbor had a little white poodle, who was ignored..Daisy would bark incessantly, dig, chew and run away whenever she could, she also was very dirty and ungroomed..fortunately, another neighbor offered to adopt her, she is now being groomed monthly, looks white and beautiful, never barks, looks and acts like an entirely different dog. When the new owner walks her, she walks with
spring in her step, and you can almost see her smile. Daisy is one happy dog and a wonderful companion...
Don't you like happy endings that this? I hope little Rusty will find his family soon, the poor guy has been through a lot.

10 comments:

  1. I probably shouldn't even read your blog on Wednesday pet days. It grieves me so to think of the unwanted fur babies. I want to rescue them all. :-(

    Rusty is a pretty little dog, and the dog to his left, who looks like he's trying to get in the picture, is a cutie pie, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the dog on the left is Teeney who I featured on another Wednesday and the dog on the right has been adopted...at least at this rescue, they are taken care of well and can stay as along as it takes...no kill shelters are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Renna - I can hardly take seeing those sweet faces who just need someone to be THEIRS - Rusty is a handsome little fella and I trust he finds his forever home really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully, someone from close by will see my dog of the week posts and be moved to adopt one of these guys, that is always my prayer...so don't feel bad...just pray that the right family is led to come...the dog rescue has been very successful in finding homes for almost 600 dogs in this year....hopefully my posting helps out..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for little Rusty to find a wonderful home soon. Getting the word out is the best way for the information. CAn you also post on a craigs list in your area? I am just learning about it but, it sounds good form what I have heard. I cannot bear the thought of folks not having their pets inside with them. Our dogs sleep with us which I know is alittle far for some folks and that is ok. But, even in a ped bed they know is theirs is fulfilling for them.
    I got a sign for my DH for Father's Day from our dogs , it says" May I be the man my dogs think I Am" anothet one, " Dogs laugh with their tails" This says it all, we adopt them to love them!

    Wishing Rusty Good Tidings!
    smiles, cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww so sweet....
    Come by my blog, Dani- I have something for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son does their website and also posts on Craigslist...I think that is why they are so successful in finding good homes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dani. Thank you so much for stopping by to visit me :) What an angel you are for trying to rescue the wonderful pups!!! You've put yourself in a wonderful place in my heart :)

    Thank you
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is my first time to your blog and I love you already. I am a big big animal lover and anyone who reaches out and helps them is a friend of mine.

    I have two rescue dogs. I can not for the life of me understand why people get pets just to ignore or abuse them.

    I think what you are doing is wonderful! Thank you for doing as much as you can to help the animals in need.

    I'll be back often to your blog.

    Hugs
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom has a chihuahua! She would love this picture!

    By the way, be sure and check out my blog in the next week or so...we have a stray dog that apparently likes us and decided to stay...Liberty is her name and I'm going to do a post about her (after camp next week).

    ~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?