Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday Drive




We took a Sunday drive up the Ortega Highway on the other side of Lake Elsinore...here are some photos I took. The road is very curvy and narrow in spots....with many switchbacks..but fabulous views.


At the top of the mountains, there are places to camp, ride horses, and walk trails...we stopped at the candy store




There was a nice assortment of hard candies and taffy..we spoke with the owner.
I tried to get her in the photos but she was too shy.
she makes fudge, divinity, chocolates,
homemade peanut brittle, and other goodies too...She originally is from Wisconsin and makes much of her own goodies at the store. if you click on the photo, you can see her little country kitchen...


We drove on further and they were working on the road, at one point, it went down to one lane, as they were building a new bridge..there was a motorcycle rally going on and part of the group passed us while we were waiting..

There are many places to camp, rent cabins or park your RV along the highway...plus there are walking trails as its in Cleveland National Forest....
here is just one of the many campgrounds, notice the live oak...these are protected.


we decided we'd call and see how much it would be to rent a cabin for a weekend...would be a nice getaway and not too far from home.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful area! I'd love to visit that candy shop, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Dani! What a view... simply gorgeous.
    I can see I've been away too long... I've got some catching up to do with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all over the candy shop - looked so clean and nice - I do love some homemade sweet goodies! Nice drive you took - fun to just get out and see something different isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sharing your trip with you Dani, and many thanks for the pepper tree ID, I would have had no idea.

    I love just lurking around in new places too.
    smiles, cyndi

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?