Saturday, March 14, 2009

well, now you have a photo of me.....kinda.....I think I posted this before but wanted to again....this was taken sometime around 1954 or so...in San Diego, Ca...back when the world was sane, men were brave and women were all beautiful. I believe President Eisenhower was in office. Reading back through history, I see there was a lot of civil unrest in the south and east but it was far from us in San Diego.....there was no separate drinking fountains or rest rooms out here, that I remember anyway. Most mothers stayed home with their children and Dad went out to work...my mother was always home for me and my brother (who came along a few years later than this photo)
My days were spent making mud pies, jumping rope, walking to kindergarden and watching Captain Kangaroo....and Howdy Doody....we went to church every Sunday and at school, there was a short little prayer before snack time....life had meaning and purpose......
Mom and Dad had gone through the Depression as children, and WWII, and the Korean War before I was born....they were hard working people with strong principles and core values.....
they believed and I do too that.......
honesty, reverence,hope, thrift, humility, charity,sincerity,moderation, hard work, courage,personal responsibility, and gratitude are good things....core values....

Of course, you probably remember where you were on September 11th...what about September 12th? Here in California, everyone, and I mean everyone had flags out...on cars, trucks, SUVs, over bridges and off ramps, on every house, store, and people were flying them from their planes...we were giving blood, and money to the Red Cross and did whatever we could do to help...no one told us to do this...it came naturally...
On August 23, 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit the southern coast...hours later, trucks and vans, and buses started arriving with food, medical help, diapers, and clothing.
No one told these people to do this...it came naturally...this came from individuals, churches, private organizations, small and large businesses. Walmart opened their doors and let people take what they needed...a drugstore opened and filled prescriptions with no electricity..

I know where ever you are as you are reading this, your family, friends and neighbors did something similar...we didn't wait for the government to do it..we were all Americans on those days..just Americans..there was no black or white, no Republican or Democrat...we were Americans......
friends, our country is in trouble again....it seems as if the people in Washington don't share the same core values we do....this isn't just with this administration, its been going on for some time from both sides.

It shouldn't be business as usual.

If you believe as I do that core values matter, then you may want to visit the 912 project
you may not agree with everyone there but everyone there does agree on values and together maybe we can be strong enough to make a difference, so it won't be "business as usual" in Washington.
Remember, the government works for us...not we for the government...I do not answer to them, they answer to me...

“I consider the people who constitute a society or a nation as the source of all authority in that nation.” Thomas Jefferson

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, uplifting and patriotic blog you wrote...kudos to you, as usual! All so true. Having been born and raised in Chicago, I never saw separate drinking fountains and everyone rode where ever there was a seat available on the bus!

    God bless you,
    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but it seems so many go into politics that are not really very nice of people -- YES there are certainly exceptions, but it does seem to me, to most of them, it's a "game" and it's "business as usual" while we watch our country becoming something so much less than it could be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picture. I agree. The 912 project is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love your inspiring words. I remember the days of making mud pies and jumping rope. Such sweet simple times...I also remember what I was doing on 911 and watching with heartache both 911 and Katrina. Loved this post. Blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani,

    Thanks for explaning the 912 project. It sounds fabulous, and so does stumble. I have heard of it but have so many social sites with trying to promote my selling sites, I am really bogged down and I vow to change priorities.

    I always enjoy your blog and where you send us off to visit is always awesome sites. I adore your little pinwheel quilt with buttons. You know what? I have been getting the sale, maked down ready to trash clothing for the buttons, I have found some really fabulous ones, for $1.00 or so.

    I also love the photo of childhood. We did the same things, and have beautiful memories of when we never locked the house, trusted everyone and played mother may I in the yard with my friends in the neighborhood.

    I will chat with you again later, smiles, cyndi

    Oh, Many thanks for your comments on my blog when I Lost my JOrdan this week. It has been a really sad one and probably will be for a long time. He is so missed. ;-(

    I know you understand! Thanks, Dani

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?