Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our weather has been wonderful, in the 70s most days and the nectarine tree is in full bloom...I had fun the other day taking some macro photos and captured a bee at work...
Our barrel of leaf lettuce is doing well, and we've been harvesting what we need every day for salads...we've done this for about 3 years and it works well, just break off what you need and it just keeps growing....this will last to well into summer...as we have the shade cloth, it may last through summer this year. The plant on the upper right is our rhubarb which is just starting to leaf out...
The tomatoes, and cabbage are doing well too...getting larger and the cabbage is starting to curl.
One of us checks them every day for any signs of bugs, always a problem here...so far so good. The summer squash is growing also as well as the beets.
We did all container type growing, we couldn't find the right boxes (that we could afford anyway) and decided to just use what we had or could find for free. I'd like to plant some yellow and red peppers so am looking for a nice sized pot or something at garage or estate sales this week.....there really is no reason to buy expensive containers....even deep drawers will work.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Just to let you consider, the economy will probably go into inflation in a year to two , from the influx of stimulus money....we've lived through inflation before and its not fun.......so if you need any major appliance....I'd buy it as soon as I could before inflation hits us. Our washer and dryer are getting old, and the dryer is starting to make noises that are suspect but we may just put a clothes line.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Hillbilly Housewife has a great download, its a PDF file on how to cut your grocery bill in half....we've cut back but it hasn't been as healthy eating as I would like so I downloaded the file and when I get more time will be studying it. You can find it here and it is free. With so many struggling, losing jobs and getting hours cut back, we all need to help each other as much as possible. Many in the 9-12 movement are starting to grow gardens and plan on sharing as much as possible with their neighbors...you know there are over a quarter of a million in the movement now? and in less than two weeks! Please join if you haven't already....

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you shared your garden this morning, Dani. I love the idea of your salad barrel. I may give that a try as well. I have planted the raised beds with lettuce and spinach but I didn't consider that the summer heat might just wilt it all. Maybe i can install a little shade cover out there as well? Mmmm ~ plenty of food for thought this morning.

    I'll check out the document you shared. And I think that clothesline is a wonderful idea. I've been using ours quite successfully and planning laundry days around the weather. Its a challenge but one that I believe will pay off when we see our electric bill.

    Thanks for always sharing your heart.

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and thanks so much for inquiring about Jase. He is doing quite well ~ no more black outs so I'm feeling very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like yer idea of growing things in containers. I haven't been able to grow much out here, will give it a try. I'm in West Texas and I am going to put up shade cloth this year, too.

    I dry the vast majority of my things on a clothesline, if you like yer towels soft and such, dry them on the line then just pop them in the dryer for 5 minutes and they will be much softer.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?