Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mama's Cookbook and Prayer

I've been thinking if I had anything personal about frugal cooking and such when I remembered my mom's handwritten cookbook she started back in the 1940s as a bride...

Its just a plain little blue book, worn with age but inside are quite a few recipes from the 40s, the war years when there was rationing......here is her recipe in her handwriting for a raised gingerbread..


Another interesting recipe is this one for War Cake...no milk
Many just give the ingredients so you just have to figure out how to put them together..no, I've never tried the War Cake recipe but you boil the first 7 ingredients together, then take them off the stove, let it cool a little then mix it into the dry ingredients..and bake at 350.

I can see we may have a problem later this year...our neighbor called his bank to see about refinancing and they wouldn't do it unless he was 3 months delinquent on his mortgage..said they were not refinancing anyone right now.... This just encourages people to default and makes the situation worse. I've just had to put this all in God's hands as we are sure powerless to do anything about it.....

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Reinhold Niebuhr

Oh, you do know I have another crafting blog, don't you? Not getting much traffic over there but there sure is lots of good stuff....my store news, free graphics links, free crafting link patterns, etc....so you are sure welcome to check it out at the DaniV1951 news letter

6 comments:

  1. What a treasure to have your mother's cookbook and in her handwriting! Love the prayer, my prayers are with you as well. blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving it so many people seem to be looking up how to actually cook real food (I see it in the younger gal's blogs). Your precious cookbook from you mom is really a treasure - I have several hand written recipes from my mother and they are all treasures. I understand the situation about foreclosures (we are in the real estate business) and about all we can believe is - God is in control, He knew this would happen and has allowed it - the end is already known to Him and we who are called by His name are His children. I sometimes feel like being a brat and telling non believers - My DAD can beat up your dad (or idol or whatever) - but that isn't very loving is it? Thank you for reminding us - we may all have a very bumpy ride in this life but Oh the landing in the next will be supremely happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old recipes are a real treasure Dani..My Mom decided once to take a cooking class at a College and has some recipes that they had to make and it is a treasure...especially since my Mother wasn't that big on recipes or cook books. Anything that belonged to her or my Grandmother is a treasure to me....is a lot to have to haul when we move but I wouldn't part with any of it for anything.
    It is always nice to have things to pass down to our kids :)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ought to think about contacting a publisher about that cookbook! That is just what is needed today! Those kinds of recipes are priceless.

    As to your other blog -- be sure and get a Button and put it on your sidebar -- an animated button to catch the eye -- have it linked to your selling bloggie --

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cookbook really is a treasure, Dani... I love looking at my Mother's recipes sometimes just to see her handwriting... it makes me sad though too...

    I will keep you in my prayers... I know how you feel because we too are wondering what to do about some financial situations right now.. it was so good to read Linda Sue's encouraging words- they made me feel better about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this is amazingly like my grandma's cookbook, which has some interesting recipes, also--including one for laundry soap.

    And no, i did NOT know you had another blog, so yes, thank you, i WILL check it out!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?