Thursday, August 26, 2010

Piccalilli and Rummage Pickles


Here are the other two recipes I promised to post...I well remember being served Piccalilli at my grandmas....it is a prized recipe..

Best Ever Piccalilli

32 medium sized green tomatoes, quartered
1 pt. small onions
6 green peppers, quartered lengthwise
6 sweet red peppers, quartered lengthwise
1 1/2 qts. vinegar
3 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. salt
1 1/2 t. allspice
1 12/ t. cinnamon
4 ts. celery seed
1.2 c. mustard seeds

Wash vegetables, put through food chopper (food processor now) using a medium blade. Drain.
Place vegetables in a large kettle, add 1 qt. vinegar. Boil for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain and discard liquid. Return vegetables to pot and add remaining vinegar, sugar,salt and spices. Simmer 3 minutes. Keep mixture simmering while packing hot sterilized jars. Pack into one hot jar at a time. Fill to 1/8th from top of jar. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Makes 6 to 7 pints.
This is so good on hamburgers, and served with meats.....

The other recipe is called Rummage Pickles..in the old days, you used every thing that was left..all the odds and ends........nothing was wasted....

Rummage Pickles

2 qts. green tomatoes
1 small head cabbage
3 sweet green peppers
3 sweet red peppers
1 large cucumber
3 onions
1 qt. red tomatoes
6 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. salt
1 1/2 c. vinegar
1 1/2 c. water
4 c. sugar
1 t. dry mustard

Chop all vegetables first, discarding pepper seeds, and peeling onions. Add salt and let stand overnight. In morning,drain and discard liquid. Add vinegar, water, sugar and mustard to vegetables. Bring to a boil and simmer an hour or until clear.
Pack into hot sterilized jars and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. This makes 14 pints.

My grandma would always serve different pickles and relishes at every dinner..she had pretty little depression glass plates to serve them in....sometimes the plates were divided for the different types of relishes and pickles.....I've collected a few of these..often see them at estate sales...
they are usually very inexpensive...the footed one in the middle was one of my grandma's....



. I loved her bread and butter pickles....my mother in law years later make a wonderful sweet pickle called Crystal Pickles..we begged for it whenever we went back to Iowa for vacation...just wonderful..crisp and sweet...she gave me the recipe and I tried several times to make them but it just wasn't the same.....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dani -

    These recipes look great. I'm gonna snag 'em if you don't mind. I have several of those cute little glass dishes, too, passed down to me. Thanks for posting these! My family loves pickles of any kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The relish recipes remind me of my Grandmother and the dishes are similiar to some I have that were my Mothers and Grandmothers. I also have a celery dish and it looks a lot like a vase and never saw one until my friend gave me this one about 30 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?