Thursday, June 25, 2009

Garden Update

The found birdhouse and ammo box with a Martha Washington geranium cutting...
Our peach tree is loaded
these are yellow peppers....can hardly wait!
The first time we've ever grown Japanese egg plant...they are getting big enough to harvest soon.....I think we will grill them like we do the yellow summer squash..we've been eating squash lot but not tired of it yet.....its so good grilled with a little olive oil and Parmesan cheese sprinkled on afterward .....no tomatoes yet although the plants are loaded with green ones.....we've had a very overcast and cool June, this last week has been sunnier....

We both agree that the garden is doing fairly well considering how poor the soil is....still lots of rocks and decomposed granite....in future years, it will be better as we work to improve it and get more rocks out...but this is the best location so far for the garden....when we first moved here, we planted it on the large side of the house, but it did very poorly...it just gets too hot there....now the fig tree is in that location and doesn't seem to mind the heat..plus as fast as its growing gives us shade on that side of the house. Its loaded with green figs too and we are awaiting some fig bars and fresh figs
We covered the ground on that side of the house with mulch which seems to help with the heat also and also keeps the weeds down......behind the fig tree against the fence line, we planted blackberry and boysenberry bushes...yes, our yard is that large...they've taken off this year and are starting to reward us with a few berries. They don't mind the heat either so far.
so how is your garden growing?

5 comments:

  1. Your garden and trees look great! Mine was doing wonderful, but now seems to be dying off. I'm not sure why. This is my first time trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My peaches are still much smaller than yours..Western Washington peaches! LOL I'm sad because my turkey fig tree didn't survive our unseasonably cold winter this year...yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* No gardening here in Far West Texas, but I'm enjoying watching yours grow! That fig tree looks like it is going to give you a bumper crop! My mother would put them up whole in a syrup and they were quite delicious all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You garden is fabulous Dani! It is just too hot here in Alabama. The peaches in Chilton County are in,(just a little south of me) and I will have to get some soon!

    The eggplant is awesome, but I do LOVE PURPLE!

    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas, I'm not a gardener. My Dad had wonderful gardens but I don't seem to have the knack. I can grow flowers, but as far as edibles, no luck. Plus, I really have too many trees/shade to grow a garden.
    Try letting your yellow squash grow large -- then halve lengthwise, bake, then scoop out the center and chop with sausage, bread crumbs, onions, etc. Stuff back into the squash "boats" and top with the Parmesan cheese. It is yummy that way.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?