Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Grandma's Beef Casserole and another vintage postcard


Yesterday I found the recipe in one of the new Gooseberry books I had ordered...since I had everything to make it.....started it in the crock pot late so put it on high...this was the most delicious crock pot dish yet. It generously served 6 hungry people and everyone raved about it....no leftovers!

Grandma's Beef Casserole

2 lbs. beef stew meat
1/4 c. flour
can of mushroom soup
1 package dry onion soup mix
small can of whole mushrooms
1/2 cup red wine or beef broth (I happened to have wine)
12 oz. package of medium egg noodles


In a zip lock bag, put the stew meat..add flour, zip and shake to cover the meat. Brown meat in a heavy skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray (I used a little canola oil too) and when nicely browned, put in the crock pot along with all the other ingredients except the noodles...mix to combine..put on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 5 to 6. To serve, spoon over cooked noodles...I  think the wine really made a difference as the house smelled so good all afternoon while it was cooking....Alan sometimes gets a bottle or two as a gift during the year from clients who don't know he's diabetic....we use it in cooking only so the alcohol is gone just the wonderful flavor...

I got this recipe from the "Slow Cookers, Casseroles and Skillets" Gooseberry book..and served it with peas and carrots (the carrots were from our garden) and jello with fruit for dessert....




This postcard is all done in orange and black...a bit unusual...I think this is from the 1940s....

7 comments:

  1. wow this sounds yummy except for the noodles ( I dont eat pasta) but I think Ill make this for dinner with mashed potatoes for me:) yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Dani, that looks SOooooooo good, YUM!!!!!! Love the scary house too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your stew looked soooo delicious, don't you just love these crockpot recipes??

    And the postcard was so cool!! Love it!

    Blessings...
    ((hugs)) Gert

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've copied the recipe and it will be a must to make this weekend! Complete with carrots and peas but unfortunately from a can and not fresh from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will really like it...the guys said I didn't make enough so next time, guess I will double it....it made half a regular size crock pot..for 6 people..but 4 of them are young people who can really wolf down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- that sounds (and looks) delicious, Dani! And sounds easy to make too- my favorite kind of recipe!
    I love the postcard... how the house looks like it's scared- that's too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok girl, I made this little yummy looking food this morning and my house smells awesome! Im making the gooey butter cookies as well. Ill let you know how it all turns out...yummy

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?