Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday Dog of the Week

This is Bella..she is a 3 year old Jack Russel Terrier mix......maybe chihuahua? sometimes its hit and miss guessing the mixture..she is very active like most terriers and very friendly...she was found as a stray....sorry the photo isn't very good...she likes to wiggle...hard to keep her still....she was rather excited...loves attention........you can find Bella and many others at the
Sun City K-9 rescue..the only no-kill rescue in the Menifee valley......please check out the website, my son designed and developed it..he also has a list of all the dogs that have been adopted.......

yesterday evening I made homemade macaroni and cheese......the men in the house were delighted, they quickly finished it up...Don came home and took the rest back to his trailer.....
he had dental work done and couldn't eat much but as this is soft and creamy, it fit the bill.


I posted the recipe once before but its been awhile........this is the best mac and cheese I've ever tasted so wanted to share again...

Company Macaroni and Cheese
1 pkg. 7 oz. elbow macaroni 2 t. spicy brown mustard
6 T. butter
1/2 t. salt
3 T. flour
1/4 t. pepper
2 c. milk
3/4 c. bread crumbs (Panko)
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
2 T. minced parsley
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 T. butter in a large saucepan.
Stir in flour until smooth...gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat, add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until melted and smooth. Drain macaroni and add to cheese sauce and stir to coat. Transfer to a greased (I use Pam) shallow pan. Melt remaining butter, toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni..bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 15 -20 minues or until golden brown and bubbly...serves 6.. or in our house, 4..3 of them hungry men.
I usually serve this with a green salad, and steamed broccoli or green beans....plus some kind of fruit dessert...Don had brought home some wonderful purple seedless grapes.

Our local Target supercenter gives away day old bread, and produce...he brings us home some great things...yesterday we got a head of cauliflower, a pint of blueberries, the grapes and two cans of Mandarin oranges (sugar free)..last week, Don came home with a sugar free angel food cake, and alot of breads...most of which I froze....This morning I used the blueberries and made muffins.

5 comments:

  1. Dani, that mac & cheese looks devine! Definately good enough for company if there's any left, LOL!!!Little Bella is too cute, surely she'll find herself a wonderful home:) Enjoy your day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure wish our Target gave away the old bread -- maybe they let the employees have some here. That would be nice. Old bread works great for toast and in casseroles, too.

    I am using some of my precious printer ink (lol) to print out that recipe! It looks wonderful, just the sort of thing for a nice down-home dinner!

    I hope Bella gets chosen for a new home. She would probably be a wonderful companion, especially if someone made sure to run her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as usual - those little dogs just tug at my heart! I just got the nicest package from you, Dani - thank you so much for the adorable memo pads and yummy smelling tea! I encourage anyone to enter your contests - that was fun and I got a great prize! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sounds of that macaroni and cheese sound very tempting and since you live so far away I guess I will have to make some myself :)
    Check my blog often for my soap give away within the next week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dani ..Yes I wish this heat would be over already ..I think we are all spent by it. I just came in and looks like a fire over off bundy canyon.

    Your recipe looks yummy !!!

    Blessings ..Sara

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?