Monday, September 28, 2009

Hello.......we had a quiet weekend...it was so hot...too hot to go outside much and the air quality was poor......today is much better...cooler too! We haven't had to use the AC today which is amazing.......we watched old movies all afternoon yesterday and I embroidered another candle mat so my time wasn't wasted......we don't decorate very much for Halloween..but its the next holiday approaching......

..How do you like the spider web candle mat? I tea dyed it .....it was fun to make, it used almost an entire skein of black floss! It would look better with a orange or black candle. I found this pattern on the Primitive Stitches website....they certainly have alot of cool patterns, if you'd like to make your own...I will be listing this mat soon on Etsy....waiting for the shipment of wool
felt for the backing....
I am getting low on alot of floss colors....I had stocked up before Walmart discontinued their floss.....so I guess one of these days, I will have to make the trip to JoAnns and stock up again with basic colors anyway....

Today with the cooler weather, I was inspired to make a apple pie.....I use the pie crust recipe from the Pioneer Woman website...its very good but I always had trouble with the crust being a little too "short", it would break easily..this time, I didn't put quite as much shortening in it..and it was much better, no breaking or piecing!
As Alan is a diabetic, I used some sugar-free apple pie filling (Super Walmart) which is good...and added more cinnamon/a little nutmeg....sometimes I add raisins or cranberries if I have them...That thing in the middle is supposed to be an apple...yes, it does have a little stem somewhere....now, if he wasn't diabetic, I'd sprinkle sugar over the top like my mom used to do...
but in any case, yum!

7 comments:

  1. WOW Dani..I am not a Halloween person but I LOVE that candle mat...You out did yourself AGAIN...and I would like it if you put a piece of that pie in a plastic container and mail it to me..Go check out my blog for a give away for some of my Hand Made Prim soap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani, your pie looks DE-licious and what a cute candle mat with a big scary spider!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that spider mat!!!

    The pie looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. candle mat is wonderful - delicate web and there that spidey lurks. Pie looks delicious - seems like a pie kind of season now doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had some buys days!

    And I absolutely LOVE spiders...well, the nice ones that don't kill people! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pie looks really pretty, Dani- I'm sure it was yummy, too!
    Your little candle mat is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, yummy,yummy...delicious!!
    Hugs

    Sol

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?