Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Chat

sorry, I haven't posted the last few days....taking a break....I did post on my other blog....we didn't do much over the weekend...I did take a road trip with Alan to Orange, California...and took photos but he took them off my memory card to send to the real estate agent so I don't have them to show you...the house was fairly cool, old and in good condition....I especially liked all the vintage woodwork throughout and the kitchen cabinets were in very good condition...I enjoy the old cabinetry and if it were mine, I'd keep them, just clean and paint them.....put on new hardware...but that's for the new owners. It had a nice brick fireplace too and had a total of 7 bedrooms....four were in the main house and two were separate. The two separate ones had their own bathrooms...they all centered around a courtyard....we were talking and decided if it was ours, we'd rent out the two outer bedrooms.....looking at the city website, I think it was a Spanish colonial style house.....probably built in the 1930s.


we've been doing alot of gardening.......some sort of weed has invaded the garden so we've been taking care of them....there are over 40 corn stalks coming up...and the tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables are growing.....the cabbage was attacked by cabbage worms, so we took care of that too with some Sevin dust..........the yellow crookneck squash has flowers!

you can see the weeds we've been pulling....they look almost like a succulent of some sort..shallow roots so they are easy to get out.......the ground isn't the greatest but in time, it will be better....we put in quite a bit of soil amendments and keep pulling out rocks......and rocks....and rocks.....
I am soaking some moonflower seeds and have the ground ready by the fence line for them....I think it will be pretty when they cover some of the fencing...the seeds are supposed to be soaked in water 24 hours before planting......I think it will be nice to having something blooming at night as well as our night blooming jasmine.

Lastly, I ran into two frugal cooking/living blogs you might enjoy...one is called Cheap Cooking.com and the other one is Budget101.com....they both have lots of good ideas and good recipes.......

2 comments:

  1. your garden really is coming right along - a few of my things are perking back up after unseasonable cold a few weeks ago. Blooms on tomato plants and the cilantro plant I bought is really loving where it is planted. I'll take a look at the frugal websites - I try to remember to call myself frugal instead of cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 corn stalks! That's wonderful. May the Lord bless your garden immensely!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?