Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday


Alan and I worked yesterday, mostly on the garden...he rented a rototiller. He and Matt rototilled soil amendments into the ground, while I took out as many rocks as I could...there are still more but the larger ones are gone.....quite a job but well worth it in the long run......
He also picked up some starter plants, Japanese Eggplant, and Big Boy tomatoes....we planted those, plus 4 rows of corn, we planted some called Peaches and Cream, and the other is called Chubby Checkers......Blue Lake Bush Beans too, my favorite, I love green beans.
Also zucchini, watermelon, cucumbers and we transplanted the yellow crook neck out of the wheelbarrow into the garden.....I also moved some of the cabbage plants from the planter into the garden..they are suppose to be whoppers, 50 lb. size although I think we won't wait that long to harvest them. Also potatoes.
When we returned the rototiller, I bought some pepper plants, orange, yellow and red.....

After wards, we gave everything a good drink..the lawn sprinkler system works great and such a fine mist, will be good for the new seedlings as they emerge...now if we can keep the bugs away, we will be doing good. There is still space for flowers and we are planning on marigolds so help keep the bugs away...I noticed the Amish always have marigolds in their vegetable gardens....

When we were all done, we sat on the patio, with some cold drinks and enjoyed looking over the garden....the birds were singing, and chirping, I know I felt very satisfied and at peace and I think Al did too.



It doesn't look like much yet, but in a couple of weeks when everything starts coming up and the plants get established...it will look better......
The tomatoes we planted in the planter box have really grown and some tomatoes have set..

6 comments:

  1. Bravo Bravo my friend! Your garden looks great. I wished I lived near by Id visit just to admire your handy work! Oh happy day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we ever get up to Las Vegas, I will let you know...maybe we can go out for lunch or something? You are not that far away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are so far ahead of us. Almost time to plant here, though. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking fabulous - I'll send you something but you've alreay planted all the seeds I had! LOL - no holding you and your DH back once the right impulse strikes - will be marvelous garden and much better stewardship of your property than just grass which has to be mowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait until we get moved and I can plant my flowers and some veggies....seems like 7 weeks will be a long time and yet I need to do a lot of packing yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dani- that looks wonderful!!
    I can't wait to see the bounty that comes out of your garden this year.
    We're thinking of trying blue lake beans too... it will be our first time with those!
    And we've tried the Peaches and Cream corn, too- it is wonderful. Watch out for yellow jackets, though- they like it too! You'll have to let us know how the chubby checkers corn turns out.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?