Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mom's Recipe Box.....Pepper Steak and a bonus

My Dad spent a lot of time in the Orient through the military and came back with a great love for oriental food...we always had rice growing up..my mom had one of those rice cookers on almost every day.....this Pepper Steak recipe was given to him at a Staff NCO club and was one of his favorite meals.
Mom wrote it out at the club..here is the original.....since of course, I transferred it to a note card.

Chinese Pepper Steak
1 1b. flank steak
1/4 c. oil
1 clove garlic
1/2 c. coarsely chopped onion
2 cups green peppers, chopped
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 T. cornstarch
1 cup beef bouillon
1 T. soy sauce
Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Heat oil and place garlic in it, cook 3 minutes or so, remove. Add meat, cook until brown. Mix onion, green pepper, salt and pepper, stir occasionally for about 3 minutes or until tender. Blend cornstarch into stock and soy sauce, stir into mixture. Cook until thick. Serve over steamed rice. Back then, red and yellow peppers weren't available and I used some red...you could also use some mushrooms..yummy!

The second recipe is the Famous Amos Chocolate Chip cooky recipe......these are wonderful..I got this recipe when we were first married...


Famous Amos Chocolate Chip cookies

2 sticks butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 t. water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs (I used 1 duck egg)
1 12 oz. package chocolate chips
2 cups raisins (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Beat softened butter, sugars, vanilla, water and eggs in a large bowl with mixer until creamy and well blended. By hand, mix in dry ingredients, flour, soda, salt.....until well mixed. Stir in chips, raisins and nuts if using them. Using a teaspoon, spoon dough onto cooky sheets and bake for 8 12 minutes at 375...makes about 5 doz or so depending on how large you make them....

I took all the seedlings and put them under the patio cover.....covered them with plastic thinking it was going to rain and then no rain...but it did get close to freezing..its warm again today, in the mid 60s so I put them out again into the sunshine...playing cat and mouse with the weather!

Hope everyone has a wonderful holy weekend (holy meaning set apart) This holiday hasn't been as commercialized as Christmas. I do make baskets for the boys and will make an extra one for our boarder....

3 comments:

  1. That looks soooo good Dani..I will have to make that for Billy one day soon. I am wore out today from working in the garden and my neck and back are bothering me a lot...might just take us the whole month of April to get garden finished :)
    I wrote to Famous Amos quite a few years ago and he sent me his recipe for CC cookies and also a new released book of his..They are better than the ones with his name on them in the store for sure.
    Maybe we can compare some day and see if it the same.
    Hope you and your family Have a great Easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum, Pepper Steak is one of my favorite dishes! I'll have to make this one. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    HAPPY EASTER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it meant BLACK PEPPER! Your recipe sounds even better! And good for you, too, so that a person can then eat a lot the Famous Amos cookies, right?!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?