Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mom's Recipe Box.....Baked Rice Custard


Until I was a teen, we never had pudding of any kind.....when I discovered it....Mom simply said she never liked it as she had so so much of "that kind of thing" growing up herself....living through the Great Depression as a child, Grandma made alot of puddings, and custards as a way to stretch their food budget....evidently, milk and eggs were plentiful.....Mom said Grandma made something called a "float" or "island" which was a type of pudding with a meringue topping...the topping floated on the top of the pudding like little islands......anyone heard of that?
Grandma brought it to the table, in a crystal bowl with some fan fare....Mom got her fill of puddings, I guess....

I was going through the box and found this old recipe for a rice pudding....with all the duck eggs we have now...thought it would be a good way to use some.....

This turned out really well...its delicious......rather easy to make....you could use some leftover rice..its very creamy, fragrant with vanilla and nutmeg....topped it with some whipped topping

Baked Rice Custard

3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 c. cooked rice
2 cups milk, scalded
1/2 c. raisins
2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 T. butter

Combine eggs, sugar and salt..gradually add scaled milk, stirring to mix slowly....Add rice, raisins and vanilla. Pour into greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole, set in pan of hot water. Bake 350 for 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle with nutmeg, dot with butter. Bake 30 - 40 minutes more, until set. Serve either warm or cold.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Dani..I would love to make that rice pudding and I even have some left over cooked rice but my oven doesn't work right...I wish I could try it in the microwave..I do make chocolate pudding in the microwave but not sure how it would work with the rice pudding :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you should invest in a large toaster oven..I often bake in mine...for two people, it would work really well....just watch carefully...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love rice pudding! Also bread pudding. I think in the Depression a lot of people could keep a cow and chickens, even in the city. I know that my relatives did. And they did indeed get sick of eggs, eggs, and more eggs and milk, too, when the cow would eat certain weeds and the milk would be bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is easy enough for me to cook. Hmmmm looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?