Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mom's Recipe Box.....Beef Stroganoff!

My brother reminded me of another of our family's favorites was Beef Stroganoff...although sometimes Mom made it with hamburger too, steak was the preferable meat......its still a favorite in our home...although the boys still don't like mushrooms very much....we sure do....

Beef Stroganoff

3 T. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 lean sirloin steak, rib or tenderloin
1 clove garlic
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
1 cup sour cream

Combine flour, salt and pepper. Trim meat of all fat, rub both sides with the garlic clove. Pound flour mixture on both sides of meat..and cut meat into 1/1/2 x 1" strips..Melt butter in deep skillet, brown strips..Add onion until brown, Add water, stir to dissolve all the drippings. Add soup, mushrooms..Cook until mixture is thickened and meat is tender about 1 1/2 hours..Stir in sour cream and serve....sprinkle with chopped parsley or chives.(to make it with hamburger, brown the meat, add a little seasoned flour, then add the other ingredients...cooking it until the meat is done, about 15-20 minutes, before add the sour cream at the end)


this is best served with noodles...and usually a nice green salad..we always had green salads growing up..sometimes it was just lettuce and tomatoes, Mom said it was for our health....sometimes she'd take left over green beans, peas, etc. and add it to the salad..which is what I do to this day.....I also add garbanzo beans sometimes, and always avocado.....I also like the tortilla strips you can get now as a topping instead of croutons...I know Mom would approve..
She made a terrific marinated vegetable salad too...I might try that next week if I can find the recipe.....

when we were little, we always were served milk every meal....I complained alot then as I didn't like milk very well.....but am sure thankful now as I've never broken any bones....we only got soda as a treat....our boys don't have soda much either...they've discovered on their own that it doesn't quench your thirst and actually makes you more thirsty.....they drink iced tea, juices and water mainly...with coffee sometimes in the mornings.....

Only two more days before I draw the winner for my Betty Crocker Spring giveaway! if you haven't signed up, there is still time!...the link is on the left side of the blog....

5 comments:

  1. Yummy, that sounds wonderful, Dani! I like the mushrooms, but I would have to leave them out for Hubby. (Or pick them out and eat them myself! *giggle*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would eat Paula's mushrooms! LOL, I love them! I love your family recipe's and the way they are hand-written with add on or changes! That is just the way our cards were then.

    We drank a lot of kool-aid as I had 5 brothers so My Mom shared this with us. My Dad was a Pepsi man, I think he used to be a driver for them before he got on with Greyhound. We only got a soda now and then for a special occasion. Now, I love real Coke and Dr. Pepper ~ Oh, Root Bear Floats' lately too.! But I drink mainly water. Boy, looking back that was a lot of sugar we had all the time.

    I lost many of recipes cards in our 2001 auction, just something I never got to go through and try and keep. We had no time.

    I love your table setting. I think I posted your give-away I will check.
    Smiles to you, I need to get a tomato plant like you have, saw them yesterday and I still have to go back.

    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my...haven't made this since the kids left home years ago. I used to fix this at least once a month. Will need to make a batch and have the neighbors over (I never learned how to make just a small batch! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We drank...HOSE WATER. Out the hose.

    *sigh* Poor pitiful me...we drank the world's worst tap water, too...on rare occasions, "Cheri-Aid," the A&P knock-off of Kool-Aid, most horrid!!!

    I drank coffee, too, from infancy...still a coffee hound.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?