Friday, April 30, 2010


I have a confession....I haven't been crafting ....the weather has been so lovely...sunny and perfect..too perfect to stay inside....been gardening most days...plus answering the phone for our business, sometimes traveling with the man, baking for the  men, taking care of the critters (4 cats, a dog and a duck), working on my book, normal housework, and having a little time for myself.....God  has filled my plate completely....

This summer when the weather gets too warm to be outside as much, I plan on embroidering alot and I mean, alot of redwork....I've ordered some very wonderful soft flour sack dish towels, bought yards of soft flannel and have a high quality white sheet (found abandoned in a foreclosed house)..so have my fabrics + a new Michaels  opened up here and I invested in many skeins of red floss....and new needles! Planning on making the following...fabric tags, embroidered dishtowels, ornaments, table mats, candle mats, plus perhaps a few redwork Christmas stockings....that's the plan anyway....

Meanwhile, the garden is flourishing..we did lose our Romaine lettuce to a hungry slug....its amazing how one slug can do so much damage..somehow he escaped all the snail bait and went right for the good stuff...every morning, Alan and I, taking our coffee and hot chocolate with us..go through the garden seeing what has come up, what has grown, and any problems....its nice in the very early morning..its quiet, with the birds and duck to keep us company...the garden and yard  have a glow from the rising sun.

Alan put up the clothes line and I put the first load out yesterday....I found I really enjoyed hanging out clothes! Who'd a thought that? and they sure smelled great taking them down.....it also felt good  to be using less energy..when did we get to where we always use the dryer? I remember my mother using a ringer washer and hanging up laundry when I was a little girl.....I think its time for many of us to go back to the old ways that our parents and grandparents did. Sometimes the old ways are the best...time tested.....

7 comments:

  1. Nothing beats a clothesline! I like my bed linens dried on the line. It all smells so fresh.

    I can`t wait to see your red work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hanging clothes out and sheets, they smell so wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was only able to hang clothes out up North in spring ..summer and a little bit of Fall..We even hung stuff on hangers in our basement a lot..Since we have moved South I would guess we have only used the dryer 6 times for laundry in 10 months (I have to wash my raggy crafts I make and put in the dryer)
    I also remember my Mom using a ringer washer too.it sure did wrinkle the clothes going through that wringer and then most things had to be ironed...I LOVE to iron too so I guess I am way back in time huh?
    You are right though..they sure do smell good..I even burn candles that smell like fresh linen.
    I do believe times were better when we were young plus things were a lot cheaper in comparison to your income...not great but still better.
    Our grandkids don't know what they are missing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy Huggins, if you run out of something to iron you can start on mine! I hate ironing unless it is something I'm making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, where I live one must be careful where clothes lines are put -- the HOA would not want them to be seen from the street. I have too many trees in back and the birds would poop on my laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree! It's been too nice outside to be inside crafting, painting, stitching. Sounds like you are all ready when the heat hits-- that's a good idea!

    I have fond memories of a clothes wringer and clothesline. We've thought about putting a line in our yard but our back yard is full of big old oak trees. The line would have to go in my front yard, and I'm not too keen on that idea. Hehe! Enjoy your clothesline!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have a pull along clothesline anbd I was just telling my hubby I need two of them for the large bedding.

    A clothesline is banned in our covenents, can you believe?

    Well, to heck with them! Good for you!

    Dani, their is even a Flicker grop on clotheslines. (grins)
    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?