Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday Kitchen Talk

Nancy, from Inside Nanas Head has just posted some of the most useful household tips I have seen in some time....here is a example:
Measuring Cups- Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill it with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry the cup. Next, add your ingredient (such as peanut butter) and watch how easily it comes right out.

I don't know about you but I like practical ideas to save time in the kitchen and make cooking a little easier....and in this case, less messy.....Alan has been experimenting with perfecting the perfect sugar-free peanut butter cooky and we've gone through quite a bit of peanut butter. He almost has it perfected and I will share his recipe when he's satisfied....he has the texture right and just has to get the right sweetness...the first batch tasted like tasteless biscuits but they've improved since then and almost right.

Cora has shared this eggnog bread recipe in our Glad Tidings group and since I had a little eggnog left over, thought I'd better use it..this is such a tasty quick bread, and easy to make...since I didn't have any sour cream, I used a little mayonnaise and it came out perfectly.
Its sweet but not too sweet and the texture is like a fine pound cake, moist and rich...enough of me describing it...try it for yourself and see if I am right before all the eggnog is gone...
Cora's Eggnog Bread
1-3 loaves 50 minutes 15 mins prep

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup eggnog
1/3 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons rum extract ( I don't put this in )
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup softened butter
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease bottom only of a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan or three 3 by 5 inch loaf pans.

Blend together the eggs, eggnog, sour cream, rum extract, sugar, vanilla and butter.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
Add to eggnog mixture and stir just enough to moisten, pour into prepared pan.

Bake bread in large pan for 40 to 60 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Breads baked in the smaller pans require 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan or pans.
Cool completely, wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. Think I will copy that recipe Dani...not sure if I can still find egg nog in the stores now though...I do have some egg nog ice cream ...I wonder if it would work insted if I let it melt...I might try that :)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miss Dani!! I've been off-line for about a month because of my stupid computer ( I have a new one now! Yay!)
    I sure have missed checking in with you, but it's good to be able to catch up on everything today. I love the new blog header!! Is that one of your sons? And the bread sounds dee-lish!! I wish I could reach right through this screen and pich off a bite from the picture!! tee hee

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?