Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I was on the phone with Alan about 11 yesterday morning when the trash truck came by..the noise from the truck is always loud but it seemed to get louder and louder..then the walls started shaking, with a rolling motion....the liquid in the oil lamps was slopping around, I told Alan, "I think we have a earthquake."..he said, "funny, I don't feel it"...he was driving....our cats ran and hid...
we turned on the news, and they were reporting an 5.8 earthquake with the epicenter in Chino Hills, which is about a hours drive north of us....such is the living in Southern California.....what impressed me about this quake was the noise..sounded like a freight train rumbling....
This morning, they are showing some damage in Chino Hills, shelves falling, etc. but thank the Lord, no one was hurt and they changed the magnitude from 5.8 to 5.4 which is still a good shaking...
As I've lived my entire life in California, these are not very alarming to me...and "they" have been saying for years that there will be a big one right around the corner...which I have no doubt will happen one day..most homes and buildings are built here with that in mind so we will probably not get as much damage as other areas of world with less stringent building codes.....we have earthquake insurance also....
Alan did a lot of driving to different jobs yesterday, I rode on two of them in the afternoon as they were out in the country. I went on one way out in a orange grove, so lovely and as we drove, you could smell the orange blossoms. So much of this land used to be like that, glad to see a few places left. I forgot to take my camera but did find this lovely postcard and the groves were much like this, with the mountains in the background...the house we re keyed sat on a hill surrounded by groves, what a view they had! and it was so very quiet, with only an occasional bird call....I think this is as close to Eden as we can get here..

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, Dani! I am NOT accustomed to earthquakes and the thought of one leaves me shaking in my boots. So glad that you are okay.

    Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dani! I was wondering if you guys felt the earthquake where you live. We were out and they had the news on a TV in the store.
    I sure do love those postcards you include sometimes. The colors are so pure. I haven't done much on my blog. Joseph is home with no work. Pray for him, please! He has a nuclear stress test next week...
    Keep up the outstanding work!
    Hugs in Jesus,
    K

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?