Monday, January 31, 2011

Counted Cross Stitch and Joyful Expressions

I have a new friend in Sandra who designs these wonderful counted cross stitch patterns.....I just posted a blog post on my other site, Sweet Home Stitchery about her great designs...especially the ones that she personalizes for loved ones....I've been fortunate enough to have two of them for my youngest son and his steady girlfriend....thought they would make unique gifts this year for their birthdays...her website is called Joyful Expressions

I learned to do counted cross stitch through my sister in law when she and her husband (Alan's youngest brother) lived in the LA area for a time....I haven't done counted work in several years but have the Aida cloth and of course, plenty of floss..the nice thing about her designs is that they are designed for regular sized frames that are easy to get....counted cross stitch is easy to do and I did post a video of instructions on the other blog....it really only gets difficult for the very fine counts...I used to  do 18 and 22 count but no longer as my eyes just can't handle the fine work any more although I do admire it....the most I do now is 14 and 16...
the above pattern is for 14 and so simple but what a wonderful effect, huh? Counted cross stitch fits in so well with prim and country decorating....
Yesterday, temperatures dropped and a rain storm came in...it rained most of the afternoon....and into the night..we woke up this morning to fog and dampness.....so our warm weather front broke..as we expected...I just  hope we don't get a killing frost as our nectarine tree, feeling the warmth, started to bud..this happened one year before and we didn't get a crop that year. Last year we had all the nectarines we could eat...
Alan planted last week two grape vines (bare root), both seedless, red and green grapes...our neighbors have grapes that do well every year..we are going to train them to climb up on the side of our patio cover.
We also picked up some seed potatoes and onion starts but haven't planted them yet.....red potatoes which are so  tasty.....
Paula..yes, Alan's has a white beard now...LOL..I was also going to mention that Alan's mom has a huge collection of mini pitchers and saucers...you can see some of them behind us on the shelves that divide the kitchen from the living room..she has even more now, of course...she also collects red cardinals and coffee mugs.....the mug collection hangs underneath the cabinets and is used...I wonder if that orange one is still there?
Post a Comment