Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Shirred Potatoes, Doors and Driving Tests

I was thinking of a different way to prepare potatoes yesterday....when I remembered my aunt's recipe from the 1960s...as it was simple and I had the time...
 Shirred Potatoes
3 T. butter
1 1/2 T. flour
salt/pepper to taste
minced onion
3 c. milk
3 c. grated fresh potatoes
1-2 T. butter
Blend butter, flour, and milk. Cook until thickened (white sauce), stirring constantly. Fold in grated potatoes into the hot sauce immediately. Season to taste with the salt, pepper and minced onion. Pour into a shallow pan, dot with butter. Bake at 325 for 2 hours or until tender and brown..
This is so good..the slow cooking turns the mixture into a creamy delicious dish. Real comfort food. I served it with browned and baked pork chops, steamed green beans and some canned peaches...This would be good with any kind of grilled or roasted meat...I also always add a little grated cheese to the top of the potato casserole a few minutes before taking out of the oven..its not called for in the recipe but the cheese seems to finish it off nicely. Thank  you, Aunt Alyce!

Yesterday, the contractor came and put in our new fire door...he ordered one that matched the rest of the doors in the house, today someone will come to paint it....we are both really happy how its looking ..when we moved in, Alan replaced every door in the house to paneled solid core doors, far more secure.....even our front door which is a steel one is paneled....he also replaced all the baseboard from narrow to wide...it gives the house a nice look..details can make all the difference, sometimes......
this is the new door going into the garage...

This afternoon our youngest son will take his driving test....he's put it off for some time and is not a little nervous...Alan is taking him up to the DMV this afternoon.....he's a good driver and has driven with his permit for almost a year.....even driving back from northern California so he's got alot of experience...driven  more than either of us did when we got ours...so I don't think he'll have any problems....plus he's 19, not 16....both our boys waited until they were older to get their licenses. His steady girlfriend has been encouraging  him as she had got her license a few weeks ago...say a prayer as I know how it feels...as we all do....

A Special Giveaway
I just got a email about a extra special and fun giveaway.....Becky from The Crow's Nest is having her first ever giveaway and wants to get 100 followers by the 14th......but there is a catch...you have to work for it by getting as many of your blogger friends to sign up as you can.....please mention that you were sent by me at Eagles Wings
I've just started exploring her blog and it is fantastic so your time won't be wasted! Above are some of creations she is giving away.....the wax melts sure look yummy, great eye candy for sure!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Dani - I snagged your shirred potato recipe - my guys will LOVE this!

    I'm glad your house projects are coming together. I think I have those same doors in my house - looks nice. I know you'll be glad to have that all done. It'll be like a new house!

    I know your son is going to do great on his driver's test. He's a more mature driver. I wish they would change the age to 17 or 18, but hey they didn't ask me. Plus, it always takes a GIRL to get a guy to do something for her. I imagine he'll be borrowing the car more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani, thanks for the recipe my son Shawn was just asking me to make something different than mashed potatoes for dinner :) Keep up the great work! Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani.. what a great recipe..sounds so yummy, we shall use that one! I went over to The Crows Nest and told her you sent me:) Good luck!! Congrats to your son..being an official driver now:) I remember the days..me and our children! Always an exciting day!

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  4. The potto dish looks so yummy I 'd like to try it sometime.


    Trust your son does well in his driving test.

    So glad your house is fixed . Its must be like having a new house all freshly painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM~ those potatoes sound wonderful Dani. Thanks to your Aunt Alyce!
    Love the new door.. hopefully things are finally back to normal for you.
    Good luck to your son!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?