Monday, July 12, 2010

Thoughts

A neighbor gave us some amaryllis bulbs a few months ago and they have been blooming....she had to split hers up as she had so many......as I didn't know what they would look like, just took about 4 of them..now I wish I had gotten more but these will spread, I know.....

We've had  humid weather and yesterday some sprinkles...a tropical storm..thankfully, the humidity has broken now..don't know  how  you in the more humid areas can take it......you have my admiration...
we worked most of the weekend, unpacking...got it whittled down to about 1/3 of what it was....we are taking the time to reorganize also....and have sorted through things for a garage sale later.....

Alan brought home two boxes of peaches to can...there was a sale he couldn't pass up...he also brought me 3 cases of canning jars...now we just need a water bath canner, and rack....our peach tree has quite a few too but we are enjoying just picking and eating those...our youngest son discovered how good they were yesterday..they are so juicy and sweet...our older son is interested in the canning process..I guess its been awhile since we canned as he is 22....he wants to help...I found my tried and true canning books..I use two....
"Stocking up" by Rodale press, circa 1975 and "Canning and Freezing" by the Farm Journal, 1963. Its so nice to have the freezer too....this one is a size larger than our last one...but not the biggest....its on our patio right now as the garage isn't available......
so now to find a water bath canner........the latest Lowe's magazine featured canning in an article so while we were there ordering the freezer, we asked...the clerks looked at us curiously and wanted to know what canning was? and had never heard of it.....evidently Lowe's only stock canning supplies in the Midwest.
As more and more are growing urban gardens, canning will become more common at least water bath canning.... great for fruit and tomatoes....

3 comments:

  1. Dani..Happy to see you are getting back to a little bit closer to normal. Try WM for a canner ...that is where I saw them here in S AL
    I am not going to do any more canning since it will just be more to haul when we move. I am now only short about $250.00 for the truck to move so I will be having some big sales in my blog :)
    Take care and it will all be just a memory one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we went to walmart today...no canners...lots of canning jars but no canners at all...will keep trying or its going to be all freezer jam, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you are settling in well!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?