Thursday, July 8, 2010

Zucchini!!!


We came back to our garden overflowing with squash and beans...the tomatoes are just starting to ripen..I've been searching for zucchini recipes as this is just one days bounty...we've given alot away....I think we overdid it "just  a little"...

I did find one recipe that was my mom's.....and I am sharing it here...planning on making it after I post...as I have some hamburger that badly needs to be used....its a casserole dish and sounds good..

Zucchini Casserole
1 1/2 lb. zucchini, sliced into 1/4" strips
1 lb. hamburger
1 med. onion, chopped (I am using dried onions..Alan has problems with fresh ones)
1 cup instant rice
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. oregano
2 cups cottage cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sharp cheese, grated
Cook zucchini until tender and drain. Brown meat with onion, add rice + seasonings, place half of the zucchini mixture in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Cover with beef mixture and spoon cottage cheese over. Add rest of zucchini and cover with soup. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes until bubbly....She doesn't have a oven temperature but I think a medium oven at 350 or so would be good....
I am making a fruit salad to go with it......and perhaps some of our yellow wax beans....
.
We've been enjoying the yellow crook neck squash, sliced, browned in butter in the iron frying pan and eggs scrambled into them about every morning....haven't gotten tired of them yet.....
I also have 4 loaves of zucchini bread in the freezer....and have the makings for a zucchini cake...with crushed pineapple and cream cheese frosting..yummy!
Do you have any good recipes for zucchini? I'd love to have more...

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dani, So good to hear from you!!! Looks like you really got blessed in your garden. How fun!!! That Zucchini Casserole looks very nummy. It is a must it looks like.

    Our Tress cuts up zucchini, yellow squash with butter, onions and garlic. That is really good also.

    So glad you are home.

    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe for a chocolate cake made with zucchini -- sorta like brownies when made. I make catfish Vera Cruz with fresh zucchini and have a low calorie zucchini casserole. Will be glad to share if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Dani, Welcome back to blog world and how about zucchini bread. Id love to try your dish but I cant eat rice:( man it does sound good tho! Happy harvesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You vegetables look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani - THANK YOU for using our VintageImageCraft badge! I was checking out your zucchini recipe when i glanced over and saw Queen Victoria. Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dani - So glad that you are settling back into your home. I know that must feel really great. Thanks for the recipe - will be testing it soon!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds so good and we've got more than enough zucchini so I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are getting settled back in your home and in your own bed again!

    I wish I had a deep freezer, one day!

    I adore your barn photo, I took many on our road trip, still to upload!

    Smiles, cyndi

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?