Monday, July 26, 2010

Thoughts on Canning and Urban gardening




here is a canning series for those that are interested ..this series explains it much better than I can....I was surprised to see how many vegetable gardening and canning videos there are!
this one below is one of the more interesting for those of us who live in a town or city...


we can have 4 hens here.no roosters.but haven't gone that far yet....the duck gives us eggs, of course, which are good for cooking and baking..none of us care just to eat them as they are a bit rubbery when fried....we can't have goats or any other farm animals...I don't know too many cities that allow that...
we still have some lawn in the back...where I have the clothes line...seriously thinking of making it all into garden..or just some raised beds and get rid of the grass...it drinks up alot of water and doesn't give back. Our water bill last month was huge, almost $150 and most of that was outside....

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dani!
    Thank You for sharing those two videos.
    I love to garden but I have never had any success growing fruits of veggies.
    Maybe one day that will change=)

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure enjoyed your videos. Thanks so much for posting.

    Most folks in my area(desert)have raised beds. They are very productive gardens, easy to care for and it is easy to conserve water.

    I didn`t plant this year because the ground squirrels were a big problem last spring. I`m already planning for next year. Lawns are rare here because of water use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the part about using your yard for good use other than grass. There is a family near here that planted the entire front yard with greens - turnips, kale, and the like!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even thought of how youtube has just about everything on it!!!! Thanks for finding those videos! I have been afraid to even try unless I had someone to watch and learn from!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to get back to your blog. I have never been into canning or cooking things from the garden. I do have a nice herb garden. Hope all is well.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dani:) Oh yeah you can find just about anything and everything on the internet. Good for you that you're canning and saving the family cost on groceries. Keep up the good work gal:)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?