Thursday, July 29, 2010

canning and figs

......I canned alot yesterday...8 more quarts of peaches and 1 quart of figs..first time for figs so we will see how well they can...I do have several recipes for spiced figs......

This recipe is from "Freezing and Canning Cookbook" by the food editors of the Farm Journal...published in 1964..

Fig-Citrus Conserve

5 lbs. figs
Water
10 c. sugar
2 lemons, coarsely ground
4 oranges, coarsely ground
2 t. ground ginger

Cover figs with a small quantity of water and boil until liquid is tan. Drain and reserve about 2 cups of the liquid. Mix with the sugar to make a heavy syrup. Combine figs, sugar syrup, lemon and orange pulp. simmer gently about 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Skim off any foam foam from time to time.
Add ginger, mixing well. Pour into hot jars, seal. Makes 5 pints...you can add finely chopped nuts when you add the ginger....
I haven't made this as it take so much sugar and my husband is diabetic..but I know I've had questions as far as fig recipes goes so am sharing this....
here is one more which I may try to have for gifts on the holidays.
Pickled Figs

6 qts. figs, (about 8 lbs)
salt water
8 c. brown sugar
1 qt. vinegar
7 (3") sticks cinnamon
1 to 2 t. whole cloves

Cover figs with salt water (1 T. salt to 1 gallon water): bring to a boil, simmer 15 minutes.
Combine sugar and vinegar: bring to a boil and add the spices. Drain the figs andadd to the boiling syrup. simmer one hour.
Pack in hot, sterilized jars.. make sure figs are completely covered with syrup. Seal at once. Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes (water bath canner). Makes 7 to 8 pints.
this recipe comes from the same cookbook....I just love old cookbooks and have several that I cherish....the photos alone are fun to look at.....

6 comments:

  1. This sounds so much like what my mom would can -- and they were delicious. If I would stop eating them raw, I might get enough to can -- but I stand in the yard and just keep eating (the neighbor says any figs on our side of the fence we are welcome to eat).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you make me want to get a garden and get to canning myself! Hopefully next year I can have a garden lets pray all works out well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your canning pain my friend, I have canned and frozen so much from our garden plus beautiful South Georgia Peaches. I have a basket full of tomatoes and more in the garden that is waiting to be canned, sure is hard work but taste so good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your canning lessons are very educational for me.

    We only get dried/preserved figs here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never canned figs (since they don't grow up North..at least not that I know of)
    I have never even tasted canned figs but Billys Aunt cans some and gave him a jar...no sense in my starting to like something that I can't have when I go back up North.
    Your really doing a great job Dani..especially since you just got back into your house..Nothing like Home Sweet Home huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful! I love fig preserves!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?