Thursday, July 22, 2010

Early Harvest



I got 4 qts. of pureed tomatoes, and one qt. of tomato juice done yesterday..the first of our tomato canning......
plus froze 3 quarts of corn...the corn is small but very sweet and good....this has been a good year for the garden.....
the figs are starting to ripen also...I found 2 fig jam type recipes in my old book...Fig-Citrus Jam and a Fig Lemon Conserve with preserved ginger...they both sound good..plus the book tell how to can them so its a good to go as soon as enough ripen..the tree is loaded!
All the peaches are gone...safely canned and put away for later...right now I have to just put them in boxes as the garage isn't done...nowhere else to store them..7 qts. and 7 pints...we did have a large cabinet for our canned items....Alan's been talking about getting a small shed for our canning and food storage....I remember my grandmas...she had a larder in the basement of their house...shelves lined with wonderful canned things.....and in the floor, a trap door for cold storage....

if you are canning and need some labels for your treasures....here is a site with free vintage labels on a pdf file..you can fill in your titles too...vintage handcrafted product labels
you just print these out using label paper.....another site has a few free labels with a more country design
free country labels

6 comments:

  1. all I can think of is - YUMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your canning abilities. My canning abilities extend to nothing more than picking up a can of veggies at the local grocer!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're way ahed of us in Washington! It's finally warming up so maybe we will be able to do some canning.....eventually!

    There's nothing better than looking at a batch of filled jars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy! I wish I could can..I can't can. One of those forgotten arts around here, wish we still had a Home Ec extension agent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good, specially th e corn. Ours are so tiny.

    I am using th e tomato puree I made earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me add my yum to the comments. I'm dreaming of the fig jam, one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?