Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Canning still and Stitchery renew


rather amazing..for in just a few hours..the above gets transformed into this

I thought I'd rounded up all the ripe tomatoes...but then last night, Alan went out into the garden and found enough to do at least another 10 qts..plus the figs are coming in now as well. He bought a box of peaches (on sale, only 78 cents a lb) too that have been getting ripe...He came home today with 3 boxes of jars so I took that as a hint that we'll be doing more canning! Its amazing how much food one can grow in an average yard...
we discovered about 4 nice little cantaloupes growing amidst the corn..forgotten we'd planted melons...they are not ready yet but will be a welcome addition...not to preserve but to enjoy now....
some other good news yesterday..we got the loss list from the preservation company...went over it last night so we can submit it to the insurance company....no checks yet from insurance though....hope soon so they can complete the garage....





Since we don't have any TV...we watch videos at night.and listen to the radio during the day....have the internet of course...I like to do something while watching a movie...right now we're watching Miss Marpel mysteries...I thought I'd get back into stitching again and made these little primitive tags....what do you think? I stained them prim style..and let them dry in the shade outside....its so warm..I think they got gently sun baked...I haven't stitched anything in a few months and it felt good to pick up the needle.....


I am also working slowly on my other blog...The China Lake Shop...please take a look

4 comments:

  1. Those are really cute tags - would make great bookmarks! As always, I enjoy your canning stories. Do you can the figs as well??

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like listening to talk radio and CNN radio during the day...they have old Star Treks on youtube now, too, for evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your garden is doing well! Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen and something has been eating them...ARGH! Too much wildlife in these parts, even fences don't keep them out:(

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?