Thursday, July 15, 2010

Owls?


I've mentioned before that we live right by a large field..full of boulders and such...its where we walk our son's dog.....
yesterday, I took Kingston out for a early morning stroll and spied something a little out of the ordinary...



 These two birds seem to be nesting amongst the rocks...there was a small hole she was guarding above.

This is the male...I had him centered in the photo when Kingston pulled my arm away....still  you can see the bird fairly clearly

I can't quite tell if these is are owls or not...I am leaning in that direction....as they can move their heads almost completely around..when they took off, there wasn't a sound....they are not much bigger than a crow..and probably hunt for lizards and such...there are lots of bunnies and ground squirrels in the field too.....they are not very afraid and let me get fairly close.....

I have a bird book..just unpacked it so will have to do some research to find out the name of these guys but thought you'd enjoy seeing some of our "wildlife"

8 comments:

  1. That 's a grand old owl.

    Its beautiful to live in the countryside and find such beauty spread all around you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Field Guide to Western Birds leads me to believe that what you have is a Burrowing Owl which is described as a small brown owl of open country, often seen by day standing on the ground or on fence posts. It is further described as having longish legs and is said to "bob and bow" when agitated. The habitat is Open grassland, praries, dikes, desert, farms.
    They nest in rodent burrows in open ground and lay white eggs.

    How lucky you are to see him.

    Sometimes we hear an owl hunting in the meadow (elect easement) behind our house but we have never gotten to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky to get to see the Owls Dani..I was told that Owls bring Good Luck.Hope that comes true for you.
    We had cops across the road this morning..3 squads making a drug bust..I will post about it soon. Just makes me want to get out of here even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dani, Oh neat you had your camera and could share this with us. I dearly love owls also and used to collect them. I loved the Home Interiors photo of "Dad and Little Henry". Also the movie called" Hoot" was about burrowing owls.

    The are fabulous! Now, maybe you can watch them silently and maybe see little ones soon. Little Hoots! LOL!

    I am so glad you are back and getting settled in your home again.

    Enjoy your walks,I am keeping my two adopted grand-dogs this weekend and their mama who had cancer got her report that she is in remission after two years. We are BOTH glad to see each other again. They will just be here for the weekend But Bailey and Abbey are having a blast together. Emma and Maggie kind of just let them entertain them as they both look on.

    Love and Hugs,
    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice pictures. Owls are amazing animals. We have been lucky enough to have glimpses of a few during the day on some of our more remote canoe trips.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice pictures. Owls are amazing animals. We have been lucky enough to have glimpses of a few during the day on some of our more remote canoe trips.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep Burrowing owls - we often see them along golf courses in west Texas - seems like a very unimpressed gallery to a round of golf! Nice creatures - fascinating to watch and good catch on those pictures.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?