Thursday, July 15, 2010

Owls?


I've mentioned before that we live right by a large field..full of boulders and such...its where we walk our son's dog.....
yesterday, I took Kingston out for a early morning stroll and spied something a little out of the ordinary...



 These two birds seem to be nesting amongst the rocks...there was a small hole she was guarding above.

This is the male...I had him centered in the photo when Kingston pulled my arm away....still  you can see the bird fairly clearly

I can't quite tell if these is are owls or not...I am leaning in that direction....as they can move their heads almost completely around..when they took off, there wasn't a sound....they are not much bigger than a crow..and probably hunt for lizards and such...there are lots of bunnies and ground squirrels in the field too.....they are not very afraid and let me get fairly close.....

I have a bird book..just unpacked it so will have to do some research to find out the name of these guys but thought you'd enjoy seeing some of our "wildlife"
Post a Comment