Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sunflowers and good books

Alan plants giant sunflowers every year against our back wall....with the sun and heat we've had, they are blooming like crazy right now.....so pretty to enjoy looking out the kitchen window.


I found two of the coolest books at an abandoned house lately.....both vintage ..this one is from 1975.... this one is the complete works of Poor Richards almanack....(Ben Franklin) and illustrated by no other than Norman Rockwell......a limited edition of 1500.



I've really been enjoying reading Poor Richard..at first, I thought I'd put them in my Inspiration shop but think I'll just keep them in our own library for now.

I'll show you the second book tomorrow...it was put out by the Saturday Evening Post.and has many illustrations from the magazine...plus selected stories from such famous writers as Ogdon Nash, Mary Roberts Rineheart, O. Henry, and Jack London. It was published in 1955. I'm not sure if its worth any $ but its so special, its a real treasure to me. Its inscribed on the inside cover, "To Dad, on Fathers Day, 6/19/55, Johnny". I read one of the stories yesterday, "The Devil and Daniel Webster" which was very good and not a little scary by Stephen Vincent Benet.
Short story writing is getting to be a lost art and magazines are now mostly how to's or political, or gossip.
If the cap and trade goes through, it will eventually keep many from using electricity very often and I can see a time when families will once again be reading more..maybe this will be a good thing? I know the Lord delights turning negatives into positives.

I will close with this quote and hope today we...
"Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in every place you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as long as ever you can."

--John Wesley

3 comments:

  1. I am a bibliophile. "Poor Richard's" works are a true treasure! I read his maxims often. He had such a dry wit.

    Our publishing industry is in sad shape. I wish they would put out some decent materials instead of the negative fluff they seem to delight in printing...*sigh* When I walk through the bookstores, I am shocked at how much of the material is just as you say, gossip, or how-to's for meaningless things, or someone with a political ax to grind. And so many of the novels are just bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LVOE that pic of the tree you have on your blog! AWESOME of God to give us that wonderful tree to look at. Just awesome is our God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too...its a live oak, a native of southern california...

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?