Saturday, October 25, 2008

Living off the Grid III, lighting

The Tile lady left a comment and its something I was going to post about anyway, the so called green light bulbs, the ones that everyone seems to be pushing are not that good. We've used them, but neither of us were impressed...plus there seems to be safety issues about them. They do contain small amounts of mercury and have to be disposed of very carefully...there is a story of one woman who having broke one accidentally and the consequences of it, here's the story
I know they are phasing out the old fashioned bulbs, but still there must be a better alternative...if I find one, I will let you know. Perhaps they can improve the environmental bulbs, hope so.

We have quite a few old oil lamps, I just love them...I have one my parents bought back in the 60s at the Calico Ghost Town general store, plus others I've collected over the years, at estate sales, etc. They have sure come in handy when we've had power outages. Lehman's a store in Ohio who caters to the Amish and anyone who wants to "get off the grid" has lovely lamps of all types plus any parts you may need...here is a link to their lamp page Their prices seem quite reasonable also. Lehman's has a cool online catalog and its fun to explore. All non-electrical too.
Here are a few of our lamps which we use quite often..


The middle photo is a finger lamp and quite old...we paid too much for it ( naturally) at a antique store in Alan's home town of Independence, Ia. Its over 100 years old about the same age as the curio cabinet that its on.
The large one on the table is the one I spoke of that was my mom and dad's and the other single one, last photo, is one I picked up at an estate sale...the small purple medicine bottle is one Alan found when he was digging in the backyard.

As you can see, we really haven't decorated much for Halloween..but if you visit my other blog, I have a nice video of someone who really went all out in a family friendly way, with great music too...I really enjoyed watching it, and hope you will too.

3 comments:

  1. Love your lamps, Dani! I am a lamp collector as well. I don't think any of mine are quite as old as yours but I enjoy them so much.

    When the boys were younger, we would have a lights off night and only use oil lamps. It was so much fun.

    Enjoy your Sabbath,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi Dani,
    vim te desejar uma maravilhosa semana que se inicia.
    Nice Post.
    Have a blessed day.
    Hugs

    Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Dani! Well, I haven't gotten around to finding that post I saw on the new bulbs but I promise I will...at any rate, you found some good info! And, I love your oil lamps! I love candlesticks and oil lamps and other types of lighting devices, but don't have enough to make a collection. I have a replica "Betty lamp" that I just love! The oil lamps would be extremely practical though in case of a problem with electrical use.

    OK, with the possibility of sounding like a NUT, I would like to throw this out and see if anyone out there is aware of this.....on the day of winter solstice (Dec 21 or 22) 2012, there is going to be an alignment that has not occurred in the heavens in thousands of years. (We watch a lot of the History and Science channels!) The last time it occurred, they have determined that the earth wobbled on its axis and the poles changed position. Now, that is just four years from now....I'm thinking that aside from all the possible earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis etc that could happen at that time, that if you survived all the natural disasters that might occur, you might end up living in an area that was WAY colder than what you were used to (you could suddenly be on the north pole!) ORRRR WAY hotter (you could be on the equator!) Has anyone else heard about this and if you have, are you concerned about getting ready to "live off the grid" in time!!!!? (Because we are!) Just curious....
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?