Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday thoughts

After my posts the last few days, I've been doing around the house and noticing how much energy we really use...I turned all the ceiling fans off since its cooler now and we don't really need them on...we have a ceiling fan in every room and I am remembering to turn lights off....also a big energy waster is the computer so I put it on stand by, that's supposed to save energy and yet you don't have to wait for it to boot up every time.
Someone shared this great blog, Down to Earth and I've really enjoyed Rhonda Jean's posts about green city living....so much to read there and I've only scratched the surface. She's a older lady too (like me) which I like.
************************************************************************************
The ladies in the photo.... I wish it was in color as I think their dresses were probably really pretty...I like the old fashioned 30s and 40s prints, don't you? I know there are reproductions out there but with no yardage stores anymore, makes it hard. If you have a yardage store in your town, count yourself blessed as they're really disappearing. I was told by a Walmart employee that Walmart is phasing out all fabric and crafts too.
************************************************************************************

Here is a interesting interview of one of the young people who really helped get Sarah Palin nominated for VP....very refreshing.

5 comments:

  1. I am moving back into a gouse that is over 100 years old and plan on doing as much as I can to give it that Pioneer look. I will be posting pics in my blog of each room as I get it done. I don't think I could live without electric or heat (or my computer LOL) but we are changing a lot of old habbits and even changing to the light bulbs that take a lot less elecreic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a bummer about the Walmart fabric department. Mine has already phased out all stitchery supplies and the manager just told me that fabric would be gone by January. (Sad)

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also seeing the phase out of WalMart fabric and crafts - about the only place around here is Joann's Fabrics in Fort Worth.
    Just found a link on the Walker Tracker blog site I use - for those considering off the grid - absolutely fascinating to see the wonderfully useful items
    http://www.lehmans.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Nancy (and everyone) beware the curlycue lightbulbs! There's a wealth of information about these "green" lightbulbs on another blog...let me find it and I will post another comment.

    Thanks for sharing that info on Down to Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do still have fabric stores in our little town where you can purchase fabric by the yard. Of course, our Wal-Mart also does still sell it. I don't know if they're due to phase it out too, or not.

    I love the way ladies wore hats back in the time of that picture. Such a classy way to dress up an outfit!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?