Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sugar Free Blueberry Walnut Muffins!

Here is the ingredients you will need, the blueberries are frozen, but if you can find fresh ones, all the better....I have also used the same basic recipe and put in raisins

instead....just add a little more cinnamon if you do, and perhaps a little nutmeg.

Preheat your oven to 400.


Mix all the dry ingredients together: 2 cups flour, 1 cup Splenda (Alan has a sweet tooth, you can use less), 2 t. baking powder, a dash of salt, and 1 t. or so of cinnamon...here I am adding the cinnamon, I don't usually measure.

In a large 2 cup measure, I pour 1 cup of milk (I use 2%), 1/4 cup oil (canola), 1 egg, and a dash of vanilla...beat this up well and add to the dry ingrediants...
Just mix it in until everything is good and wet..no dry remaining...don't beat too much as that will make the muffins tough. It should look like this

Chop up 1 cup or so of walnuts (or pecans are great too), divide a few out for the topping
The huge knife is a family heirloom...Alan's grandpa made it and it is very very very sharp....
then add the nuts and the blueberries to the batter
slowly work the nuts and berries into the batter, folding them in, until they are all through the batter...prepare your muffin pan...I spray mine with Pam, and use the larger size muffin pan so only get 6 muffins for this recipe....you could use the smaller pan, but why?
Fill the pan with the batter....I don't always get it even so in this photo there is one small one...but that's the way it goes
Its an old pan too but sure works well....now...for the topping.....

In the same measuring cup (I just rinsed it out with hot water, why dirty another?)
I put in 2 T. softened butter, 2 T. flour, 2 T. Splenda, and 2 T. cinnamon...then I take a fork, break and mix this up really well, until its kinda crumbly, then add the chopped walnuts. Then
sprinkle or plop the topping onto the muffins.



then put the muffins in that 400 degree preheated oven for about 20-22 minutes or until done and a little brown on top.
Let them cool a little in the pan, about 10 minutes before taking them out...



I broke this one so you can see how see all the good stuff inside...these are yummy and fairly healthy...low fat, no sugar..lots of berries too.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, YUM! I wish I had all the ingredients on hand. I'd go whip those up right now. Thank you for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they would make a hit here. You should send a copy without the pictures to Lynn for her cook book she is working on. You never find enough recipes that are sugar free and there are a lot of people that would appreciate them.
    Nice job on the pictures too Dani.
    Nancy
    www.Hugginshaven.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm those sound delish.. I wonder how much sugar to use if you wanted to make it with regular sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you want to use regular white sugar, just add the same amount, or a little less (Alan loves sweets so I use more than normal) probably 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of sugar would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?