Monday, May 12, 2008

I've been having fun with my new camera...here is the crewel picture I embroidered back in 1974....rather "vintage" now...this style doesn't really age though, at least I don't think so. It's large about 20 by 24.....
there are two humming birds at the top sipping from flowers......

And a little squirrel at the bottom..sorry, he's a little out of focus...surrounded by mushrooms and flowers...

the sides have trees of life....
the frame was handmade by a fellow from the church and is oak.....it has held up rather well, don't you think?
the last thing I will share is this pinecone and seed wreath my grandmother made about 45 years ago...she made each family one...the back is cardboard and she wired the main cones into it. We have this in our dining room with a few other special heirlooms. It needs to be dusted but that is quite a chore without disturbing anything...

4 comments:

  1. Dani- your embroidery is beautiful! You and Kathleen make me sick, ugh...(LOL)
    You are taking some beautiful pictures with your new camera, I know you must be tickled to death with it.
    The wreath is so pretty... It's so nice to have treasures that your grandmother made, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dani - you are making us so happy with your new camera! Fun to see your treasures - I did crewel work about (oh NO! what a big number) 35 years ago but not since then. The Tree of Life theme is a favorite of mine - from the verse in Revelation 22 about the tree of life having leaves for the healing of the nations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tree of life theme also....the same grandmother made a pillow and embroidered a tree of life on it...she used material from a dress for the pillow, old left over crewel wool, and it turned out so pretty....its in one of our chests right now...Grandma always said you could make something from nothing..I think she was one of the original recyclers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Dani! I love the tree of life too. It is one my favorite stitching motifs ~ timeless.

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?