Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hollyhocks!


I planted a few hollyhock seeds last year...these are the type that don' t bloom the first year but oh, my....this year they have gone crazy....look at how tall this spike is? Alan is 6 ft + so this must be over 10 ft. tall.....the buds are just starting to come out...


He says he remembers his grandmother having some but nothing this tall...

Its really warm today....in the triple digits and there is a red flag warning out. Using Lea's recipe, I made some of the blueberry pecan bread this morning, using Splenda instead of sugar....very good, I pigged out and ate two pieces....always did like quick breads...next I will try the zucchini bread that Cora posted but need to get some crushed pineapple....

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!!!! Those hollyhocks are just to die for! PLEASE take some pictures when they are in full bloom! YOu must have found the all=time perfect place for them as they seem very, very happy there! Just perfect!

    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dani..I have some planted too but they aren't even up yet (to early in IL I guess) I would love it if you could send me some seeds from them at the end of the season. I would even appreciate some to share with my kids and would trade you something for some seeds. I LOVE the color..Youe yard is Beautiful :)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Dani - where we lived in Colorado the whole town had a lot of hollyhocks . They did well even at the high altitude but I've never seen anything like yours - love the color. I haven't gotten around to it yet but really want some holly hocks especially in the very dark purple which appears black.(those doggoned roundtuits!) Thanks for sharing your garden with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers are amazing... maybe i'll try growing some too. : )

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?