Monday, October 26, 2009

Road Trip, Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery

We took a long drive yesterday and ended up at Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego, out at Point Loma..it is so beautiful and peaceful, there is a sense that time has stood still here...the views on either side are breathtaking......
Confirmed as a National Cemetery in 1934, Fort Rosecrans is the final resting place of more than 96,600 men and women of the United States Armed Services and their families...we saw grave sites as far back as the Spanish-American war.....it covers 77 acres.....the above photo is looking out into the Pacific..the other photos below are looking toward San Diego harbor

Down town San Diego....looking across Shelter Island


San Diego Harbor...Shelter Island

Shelter Island

If you ever get to San Diego, please be sure to go out to the point and see this cemetery. There is alot more to see on the point, Cabrillo National Park is here also, tide pools and a old lighthouse..a wonderful place to spend an afternoon.....not crowded either!

we also went to see where I spent the first 9 years of my life, we lived on Loma Portal, not far from here...we googled my old address (I still remember after over 50 years) and tomorrow I will post what the house I lived in until I was 9 looked like and what it looks like now..quite a difference!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cemetery, and San Diego is beautiful also, looks like a fun trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Dani, great pictures!
    Thanks for posting.
    Um abraço e feliz semana

    Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love San Diego! I'm envious of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to visit cemeteries, too. I often go out to the one here where my two friends are buried. There is a peacefulness.

    I am glad our servicemen and women have such a lovely resting place in Fort Rosecrans.

    I want to see that house you grew up in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! The cemetery looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?