Monday, February 18, 2008




Happy Monday......its Presidents day so my high schooler has the day off....not much school this month...he was off last Monday also for Washington's birthday, plus he was sick with a cold for one day.....
I like photos of old storefronts.....and to look at how prices differ....once we were going through an old trunk and found a San Diego newspaper from 1917...wow, what a treasure...it was still in readable condition....we've kept lots of newspapers over the years, every time anything historical comes about..we have a WWII paper when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, Kennedy's assasination, etc. I wasn't born when WWII started but my parents saved it...
Where were you when JFK was killed?
I know exactly where I was when we heard the school intercom announce it....I was in my 8th grade journalism class working on my column...I remember the principals exact words....."students and facility...I have a terrible announcement...this morning, our President John F. Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas....school is canceled for today and you are to go home.....if you take the bus, please go to back of the school..God bless us all.." and then her voice broke and you could hear her softly crying....the bus ride home was very quiet...kids spoke in whispers....we watched the news for hours at home on our little black and white TV....my family were not Kennedy fans but it didn't matter....
Saving newspapers is a good thing but remember to keep them in acid free sleeves or folders......cedar chests are not a good way to go for paper or fabric, I learned the hard way, my white wedding dress is now a awful shade of yellow from the cedar.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?