Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Crock Pot Cooking.....Tater Tot Casserole

Last Sunday, I threw together a tater tot casserole for the crock pot....so easy and I've got to say, I need to use my crock pot more often...we get busy and suddenly, its supper time...with nothing made ...although Alan is very forgiving...
.I was leafing through the little cookbook "101 things to Do with a Crock Pot" and came upon this favorite..Sorry, didn't get a photo....
Tater-Tot Casserole
1 32oz. bag of frozen tater tots
1 can of chicken, drained (or you can substitute tuna)
1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper
1 can of green beans, drained
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 T. dried onion
1/2 cup milk
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
Pour bag of frozen tots in bottom of your crock pot  In a separate bow, mix remaining ingredients (except cheese) and pour over potatoes. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Half an hour before serving, sprinkle the cheese on top. Makes 4-6 servings. We had a fruit salad with this....it was very good and there was enough for lunch the next day......I have my mom's Rival crock pot...which is very efficient....

TIP: I like to take a whole chicken and put it in the crock pot...sprinkle in favorite herbs, we like dill, and tuck a few springs of celery and some chopped onion in the cavity..no liquid...and cook it low for 6-8 hours..the meat is so succulent and yummy...great to use in many dishes from tacos to casseroles needing boned chicken...the bird cooks in its own juices and is very moist.
You probably have some good tips too....please share!

3 comments:

  1. Just came over to say hello.........I have a cough and not feeling well tonight. Want to stay home tomorrow. Wouldn't that be nice!

    Thank you for this Tater-Tot Casserole. Looks so nummy.......must try.

    Take care and know I am thinking of you!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, Dani! That sounds wonderful! I think I have all the ingredients on hand to make that- I'll definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we just had this cassrole dish but did it in the oven...what a 'great' idea doing it in the crockpot..we will have to try it!! Thank you sooo much for sharing this with us!!

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    PS Love your new banner.....

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?