Thursday, February 3, 2011

Antique Photo, a little Family History and more

I ran into this old antique photo...thought I would share....this photo is of my great grandmother, Mary Roberta Barrier ( Minnis)..the older girl in the dark dress is Gladys, the little girl in the white dress is Katie and the boy on grandmothers lap is my grandfather, James William....note his cute high top shoes...this photo was taken in Carrolton, Missouri, around 1889 as James was born in 1886. Gladys, grew up and married, little Katie died in the great flu epidemic of 1919 having never married.
I am privileged to have two quilts Mary Roberta made during the Depression and cherish them greatly....I will have to post photos so you can see her fine work......my mother remembered her working on the quilts when she spent one winter with them, in the 1930s.
Grandpa always had a garden, even unto old age...he and Grandma did alot of canning and preserving....they even had a root cellar and would drive to Montana and Idaho to buy large bags of potatoes, onions, carrots, etc to store there for the winter.....even through the terrible Depression, they always had enough to eat...they even made their own root beer ! Mom remembered occasionally there would be a loud POP come from the basement, which meant a cork had blown off the fermenting brew....  
I will be doing a review of a interesting program for gardeners, called Pro Organic They have asked me to do a 30 day trial of their program so I started yesterday.....its a way to organize your garden space well, time the planting, gives you planning software and is a  source for organic gardening.....I'll let you know  how it goes as we start planning our garden for this year.....they recommend we don't start actual planting until the middle to the end of March for our area.....I'll let you know how it goes, how easy (or hard!) the program is for those of us that are not real computer savvy (like me) and how helpful (or not) it is.....they also will come out and set up your organic garden too....build raised boxes, garden beds, etc. I don't know more than that at this time....we'd like to eventually go to raised beds as I think it would be easier to take care of as we get older....

6 comments:

  1. Love the old photo -- I wonder how our decendants will view our pictures in 100 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful old Photo and Family
    History such a cherished treasure
    you have enjoyed the story...

    We been Organic gardening for a
    fews years now,its small for the
    space we have... Built our first
    raised bed a few weeks ago...
    Will follow long with you to see how things are going...
    Warm Blessings Trish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo, Dani! Wonderful old memories to go with it, too! How I wish gardening wasn't so hard here in Florida. I do have 5 of the earth boxes and will be doing some other container gardening again. Sounds like a nice deal with the Pro Organic thing!!! Keep us informed as to how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dani I love the old picture and the history of your family.. Just love to read these old stories about how people lived back years ago! As a matter of fact, I found an old diary of my mothers back in 1936 and am posting one entry each day on my blog! Amazing how things are so different yet so many simularities..

    Good luck with the garden software!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story you shared with us....You are blessed to have the picture, quilts, and story to go with....lindeelou

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old pictures and sometimes when I find them at sales it makes me wonder who they were and why the relatives didn't keep them...We will try again this year to have a garden ..kind of worried about the deer and bunnies getting in it so maybe we will have to put some kind of fence around it. I will be watching and following your blog as you plant your garden :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?