Friday, February 11, 2011

Soft Sugar Cookies, and a Valentine

Yesterday, I got in a baking mood again (my favorite thing to do actually) and made these soft sugar cookies..an old recipe.....you can either put a raisin on the top, sprinkle sugar on them or if you are ambitious, frost them with butter frosting...I like drop cooky recipes.. many times I don't have the patience to roll and cut..go figure, as I collect vintage cooky cutters.....

Soft Sugar Cookies


3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
3 cups flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup buttermilk
Raisins

in a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for two hours (the dough will be very soft) Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 " apart onto a ungreased cooky sheet. Place a raisin in the center of each one. Bake at 375 for 8 - 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. This made about 4 dozen...

These make big soft cookies, not too sweet and are great with tea or coffee......

As Valentines day is fast approaching...thought I'd share some of my vintage Valentine postcards..I have a large album of them....

Photobucket

Tomorrow I will be drawing a name for the General Foods cereal giveaway...if you haven't signed up, there is still time!

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking--wish she'd send me some of those cookies!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..The cookies look so yummy. I used to bake a lot when all the kids were still at home but I don't any more. We have butane gas (which is really expensive) so I do a lot with elec appliances and my microwave ...I have a silicone cake pan and I love baking a cake with it in my microwave. Only takes 8 minutes.
    I am looking forward to seeing who gets the goodies from GM and keeping my fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Nancy..I'll probably do way less baking once everybody leaves home..our oldest is set to leave in a month or two as he's found an apartment here in town....he'll be 23 in May...its time, I guess....still will have two here, our youngest and the boarder.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Linda! Wish some were coming my way. Or better yet, I'd love to sit at your table and share some with you! I love a soft cookie, so this is a keeper for me! Didn't know you collected old cookie cutters. Can we see????? I know what Nancy is talking about. Hard to turn that oven on sometimes, especially when I should NOT be eating cookies!!!!!
    Love the old valentine!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?