Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mom's Recipe Box

This is the first vintage recipe out of the box...about 20 years ago....Alan was diagnosed with diabetes...and Mom started collecting sugar free recipes.....This is one of the first she ever made and as I made it again...its quite tasty......he finished the pan in a day or so..I think I got one slice...... She got this out of Parade magazine that comes out in the Sunday paper...it was best served warm...but its good cold too..it has no sweetener except for the bananas and dates.....I think when I make it again, (and I will)...I'll add a little date sugar to it....date sugar is a natural sweetener and very very sweet...you can get it at the health food store.....

I beat the ripe bananas with softened butter...then added the eggs, vanilla and water..beat well...mix the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda and baking powder together, then add the dry to the wet...Stir in the chopped dates...then put all in a baking pan (13 by 9) it will be thick and needs to be spread...then you make a topping of more chopped dates, chopped walnuts and some flaked coconut on top..bake all in a 350 oven for 20 -25 minutes....



I was trying to think of what to call these vintage Thursday recipes....any ideas? If you'd like to join me..please feel free on Thursdays to post some favorite family recipe....maybe we can get something going? Anyway..I know you will enjoy this one and I plan on making it again very soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dani...that looks wonderful, and it's healthy too! I've been doin' alot of reading lately on how bad sugar really is for the body, so I need to find ways to cut way back and these look like a great way to start!!!! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your day sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the blogger God let me come in your blog tonight..That recipe looks so yummy and of course I love the little dog of the week..so sad when they have to leave their owner after that long...I wonder if they will forever miss their last owner and silently grieve in their own way..I am such a sucker for dogs when they are looking for a new home :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?