Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mom's Recipe Box, Hamburger Soup

Its Thursday again and time to pull the box out...sadly I didn't get to make this wonderful hamburger soup this week as I intended...Mom found this recipe back in the 60s and I remember making it for potlucks at church..everyone asked for it especially.....in fact, I am sure some of my long time dear friends remember it fondly.....

Hamburger Soup

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. oregano and basil
1/8 t. savory salt
1 package dry onion soup mix
6 cups hot water
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 T. soy sauce
1 c. celery, sliced crosswise thinly
1/4 c. celery leaves, chopped
1 c. sliced carrots
1/2 cup split peas (dried)
1 cup elbow macaroni
Parmesan cheese

Cook and brown hamburger in the oil.... add celery, carrots..tomato sauce... pour water over all...
when carrots and celery are somewhat tender, add spices, dry onion soup mix, split peas and macaroni ...cook until all are done..about 20 minutes or so... Shake Parmesan cheese over at the table....if you don't have all the spices, just put in what your family likes...I think I'd put in some garlic as we really like it... this is really good served with some garlic bread and is a full meal......I think what makes it so good is the split peas but you could do alot of combinations with this basic recipe...I was just thinking another type of beans along with the split peas would be good, a can of kidney beans perhaps. Also browning some type of sausage along with the hamburger? Just depends on what you might have in the cupboard...



The other day we were re keying a foreclosed house and there was a nice lemon tree in the back yard..the fruit was going to waste so we brought back as many lemons as we could...next week, I will post some lemon bar recipes..and yes, I did (finally) find my grandmothers Lemon O Nut bar recipe I mentioned at Christmas time....so please be sure to check for the next Mom's Recipe Box post every Thursday...


We brought Tommy home and he's fine....now it will Tuppence's turn..the fees were quite reasonable and only cost us $67.00 which included his shots...I think more would adopt if the prices were lower..Tuppence will only be a few dollars more....well worth the longer drive....

6 comments:

  1. YUM...you lucky gal finding the lemon tree, what a treat! I love lemon anything but the ones we get here at the grocery are always "old" looking:( That soup sounds delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going over to your house in the 60's and having you mom's Hamburger Soup, Dani! We were in high school... GOOD recipe - I sure remember it! Those times...we used to listen to the New Christie Minstrels
    on your record player...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely lemons. My folks had a lemon tree in Phoenix and I used to get lemons every year. I would juice them and then freeze the juice in old ice cube trays. When frozen, pop them out and put into freezer bags -- wonderful for lemonade in the summer!

    I grew up eating hamburger soup but never had a recipe -- it was one of the things we just made. Each pot was a little different depending on what veggies might have been left over -- pasta if we were out of potatoes -- usually green chilies, however. I still love it, especially when it is cold outside. I know that many people now make taco soup using ground beef and taco seasoning -- it is quite good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being sent outside to go bring my mother a lemon or some satsumas or kumquats-- how neat, I had forgotten that it's this time of year that they are just about done...

    Those vet fees are very reasonable. We have 3 good sets of vets in our town, but the rest are outrageous. Our pets' vets are THE BEST, and this whole town will cry if they ever try to retire...we won't let 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a wonderful recipe, Dani! And I loved seeing the one handwritten by your Mother-the penmanship was so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I wish I could command a genie to conjure up this soup for me.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?