Saturday, September 25, 2010

San Diego apartment and a wild fire!


Yesterday we had alot of work to do..some repair work and this wonderful San Diego apartment...its almost downtown but in a residential area, great views of the San Diego airport, and harbor....I really like these older well maintained apartments as they are very spacious..large rooms, and lots of old beautiful woodwork throughout...the kitchen was small but fabulous with new cupboards, even a wine rack and all new appliances....
The views were very nice
if you click on it, you'll be able to see a Navy ship.....

Going home, the traffic slowed down and stopped...then we crept along at about 10 to 15 miles an hour for about 10 miles outside of Temecula...I thought perhaps there was an accident but it turned into something a little more..as we got closer, we saw alot of smoke, and then a heliocopter overhead dropping water...there was a fire on the south side of the freeway, high up on the hillside....here are a few photos I was able to get..









We haven't had many large fires this year although its "fire season" here in Southern California....perhaps the fire department has a different policy now and knocks these small fires out asap because they had the big plane from Hemet dropping fire retardant as well as a smaller plane and the helicopter dropping water. Sometimes before, I think they let them burn if the fire wasn't in a residential area...as you can see, fighting these kind of fires are difficult to fight with the steep slopes, plants and boulders....


Its been a busy week with lots to do...this weekend I'm going to catch up on house and yard work..got the washer going now....nice to have some home time...our youngest son has gone ocean fishing with friends and says he wants to bring back a big fish..our oldest has to work today..so the house is very quiet which is a nice change......

7 comments:

  1. Just got back from visiting family in Long Beach..We drove down to San Diego for the day and visited the Maritime Museum...I loved San Diego, thought it and the drive was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew when I saw the word fire on your post - got concerned! Glad it wasn't personal fire. Good pictures - always thought San Diego was one of the nicer cities on the coast - good climate and beautiful harbor

    ReplyDelete
  3. CA has too many of those fires! My BIL lived in San Diego when he was in the Navy and it sure is a beautiful place with awesome weather:) Enjoy the weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son and daughter in law visit San Diego when they need a break from the Yuma heat.

    The fire pictures are very good. My son has been a full time wildland firefighter 15 years and I`ve got lots of fire pics. California sure gets more than their share of fire. I agree San Diego is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sharing your travels, I guess we never know what is over the mountain and what we will encounter. I just hope no one injured. Those fireman are so brave and much needed.

    Did you get you a Hoosier Cabinet? The one you shows is awesome!
    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT post for me. Although we live on the prairie of Nebraska, I grew up and lived most of my life in San Diego...my sister's uptown apartment has a very similar view. And after living in Lakeside for years, the site of those fires in the hills brings back lots of memories.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your hot weather -- it is really nice and cool here. We won't stay this way, of course, but it is really nice now.

    I took movies of a grass fire near San Javier del Bac about 20 years ago. Smoke was so thick that people couldn't see to drive.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?