Friday, September 17, 2010

Hoosier Cabinets


In an earlier post, I mentioned we were looking at Hoosier Cabinets as a solution to our kitchen space problem...haven't got one yet but thought I'd do a little research as to them and share it with you.....the above photo is one that is for sale on Craigslist.....this one is rather large...here is a photo of it open


They first appeared around 1898 and were made by the Hoosier Manufacturing Company in Indiana..later by different manufacturers...they were a transition from the old Welsh cupboards and later kitchen cabinets....the upper section has bins for flour sugar and other dry ingredients..sometimes they had a pull out service to use as a cutting board, drawers for utensils, pots and pans where the bottom section...the flour bins were very sturdy and held 50 lbs of flour! with a built in sifter to boot! there were accessories you could add like a coffee grinder.
to sweeten the deal, manufacturers made canisters to match ..these canisters go for a great deal of money now and are highly collected..
the Hoosier Cabinet 
website has loads of photos of such accessories and canisters...its interesting eye candy...this type of collection is not only great to look at, but still very useful today.....I like to collect things when I can that I really use and enjoy....I also like to collect vintage cooky cutters for the same reason....
In our area of Southern California, hoosier cabinets are  midrange on prices....from about $350 to over $1,000....the above one is listed at $750..its a larger version and is unusual as its painted...its actually too large for our space so its off the our list of prospects.....it would be interesting to see how prices vary across the country...
that is what I've learned from my research..if you have anything to add..please do...


We had a quiet day today, this is after 10 pm when I post this.....Alan took a 3 day weekend to rest..his finger is healing slowly and although its rather gruesome to look at...it is healing and no sign of the infection....its still painful, but not as intense as previously..thank you for the prayers....

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome what a perfect
    piece for a country style kitchen
    price seems right for the size...
    I know you'll find just the perfect one

    Continue prayers for Alan finger
    as well... Have enjoyable day
    everyone !!!

    Harvest Blessings Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece and so very versatile!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my this is a beautiful piece and I know you will find just the right one for yourself.

    Continued prayers for your husband..

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbor has one that is red and white like this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of these cabinets! I had no idea what they were called until I read your post. Mine is a Sellers brand, but looks kind of similar to the one pictured! Thanks for the website info, I am learning about them!

    Glad to hear your hubby's finger is better!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?