Friday, November 6, 2009

A Nice Surprise

While I was cleaning out and reorganizing my craft chest, I found my dear old friend, Chico......Chico was given to me when I was 3 while I was re cooperating
from surgery at the Balboa Naval Hospital...I was born with a heart vessel defect called Patent ductus arteriosus

the doctors waited as long as they could before operating, at that time, in 1954, it was a risky operation..I was one of the few children that survived at the time and one of the first for that hospital........the other older child had the same surgery at the same time, and she passed away......now the operation is rather common.

I was a very sick little girl....had no energy, and usually just watched the other children play before the surgery...after I was a little firecracker.
I remember the hospital, my bed, and the nice Navy corpsman who would bring me sweets and one gave me this little monkey to keep me company....I loved Chico, he kept me company through loneliness, I remember crying as they wouldn't let Mama stay...I took him every where with me after I left the hospital......

I especially love his sweet little feet!
Do you have a cherished childhood toy or doll? Love to hear your story.....

5 comments:

  1. Aw! That's so sweet. I can imagine what you've been through having Chico by your side. It's a beautiful memory to cherish. Thanks for sharing this.

    God bless you always!

    Ardy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome that you still have him! It's amazing the leaps they have made in the medical field!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chico is adorable, I love him! Sadly, I don't have not one thing from my childhood:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing that you still have Chico, and he's in good shape! Love his tootsies too! I had surgery at five weeks old, pyloric stenosis, no opening to the stomach, rare in girls at the time, 1951.
    Amazing how far medicine has come since those days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Chico has such bright eyes, what a sweetie!

    I am so glad you survived that surgery, m'dear. How very frightening for you and all who loved you. But, you made it through! What sweet corpsmen to give candies and Chico to a sick and lonely little patient!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?