Thursday, March 6, 2008


Here is a very old tintype..Civil War era

I was just listening to the news this morning...gas prices are going up to unheard of levels...we are now paying almost $3.50 a gallon and rising....they say flour is going up too and with that, all baked goods will go up....tough times.....I'm thinking of buying one of those huge sacks of flour at Costco and putting it in our garage freezer ...I think they are 25 lb. sacks...as I bake a lot and make our own bread occasionally....it might pay off....if we really go into a recession, a food cooperative might be a good thing....Alan and I were part of one back in the 70s when we were newlyweds...worked out great...just have to get organized and have a place to store bulk items....we have room in our garage..

The mourning dove is sitting on her nest! We were surprised yesterday to see her...didn't take them long to build one...and its exactly in the same location as last year...there was a strong wind last night but she never moved.....her mate flies in and feeds her....she doesn't worry but stays the course for the sake of her babies and God supplies her need.....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In 1834 Edward Mote was considering the gracious experience of a Christian and wrote the words to the hymn “the immutable basis of a sinner’s hope.” One day while visiting a friend and his sick wife, they read scripture together and also wanted to sing a hymn, but no hymn book could be found. Mote had in his pocket the words to his hymn and read them to the family. The woman’s heart was greatly encouraged by the words and requested to keep them. Mote went home and realized that if these words can help one dying woman maybe it can help others so he rewrote the words and added some more verses and included it in his “Hymns of Praise” collection. Today this hymn has a different title. It is known as “The Solid Rock.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not rust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace;
In ev’ry high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood, support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound, Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

1 comment:

  1. Dani, I think that second verse to that hymn is one of my all time favorites! His unchanging grace! Doesn't matter whether we can see Him or not, He never changes in His grace towards us! Thanks for sharing! Cora

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?