Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mom's Recipe Box.....Impossible Pie

As I was looking through the box...I found this clipping for impossible pies....I'd forgotten all about them and how easy (and good) they were......as I had some coconut, both sugar and sugar free..and Bisquick, decided to experiment. I made two pies, using Splenda in one.....they both came out wonderful...the one with Splenda was a little thinner than the other but just as tasty....


Here is the recipe, if you'd like to try it..as I don't have a blender.(you probably do) I just used my handy mixer and it worked well....
Amazing Coconut Pie

2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar (or Splenda)
1/3 c. biscuit mix (Bisquick)
4 eggs
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 t. vanilla
1 cup Bakers Angel flake coconut

Combine milk, sugar, bisquick, eggs, butter and vanilla in blender container..Cover and blend on low speed for 3 minutes..Pour into greased 9" pie pan (I use Pam) Let stand for 5 minutes and then sprinkle the coconut on top evenly. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes..serve warm or cold..I served it with some cool whip...yummy...

If you are a chocolate fan, there is a similar recipe..I didn't try it but it sounds very good
Chocaroon Pie

3 squares Bakers unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 2/3 cup Bakers Angel flake coconut
Melt chocolate and butter in saucepan over low heat..(I think you could easily microwave) Stir in eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla. Pour into greased 9 inch pie pan. Combine milk and coconut, spoon chocolate mixture, leaving a 1/2 - 1 inch border. Bake at 350 for 25- 30 minutes..Cool...

Impossible pies used to be on the Bisquick box but I don't think they are anymore...they do use alot of eggs...I used duck eggs! Substituted one duck egg for two chicken eggs..seemed to work fine..duck eggs have more yolk then a chicken egg and can give an eggy taste..it just depends on the recipe....


Alan surprised me and brought home a piano! Learning to play is on my Bucket list..as I've posted before....he rekeyed a house and the agent who was with him said to go ahead and take it....the house had been abandoned for some time......the piano is about as old as me...made in the 50s and shows some wear....it needs to be tuned ..and has a little wood damage but will be fine to learn on.......I did some clean up on it yesterday and need to do more today..whoever had it smoked, and the keys are sticky.....they also splattered some paint on it, which I was able to get off.....
I am so thankful...it is just the right size....we don't have room for a larger one.......with more TLC it will be really nice......now to learn to play!

3 comments:

  1. Will have to give those recipes a try...thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely little spinet piano! What a wonderful size. How nice that your husband rescued it! Now it can make music again - those spinets are very durable, despite looking delicate!

    The pie sounds great. Reminds me of chess pie a bit. The ingredients seem plain but the result is very rich and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, Wow, What a fabulous find!
    I got Bob a keyboard at the thrift store when he first came home form the hospital and he played with it maybe 3-4 days and never again. I Know you will presevere more than he and really learn to play something!

    I use to clean old dirty wood I find, Murphy's Oil Soap, It cleans incredibly well. Just pour some in a bucket of warm water(I like the warm water for my hands.) I last cleaned a wicker chair and I had to re-clean my cloth towel several times it wa SO dirty!

    Great Luck to you, what a find!
    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?