Tuesday, December 8, 2009

More Decorating

A few more photos of Christmas decorating...this is a runner with a swedish theme going on ...I thought I had other place mats but only found these red quilted ones so far ..its always a hunt to find things around here...in the background, the quilted star hoops I made (they are listed on Etsy) from a vintage Christmas quilt and a little tree..its decked with vintage cooky cutters...
the boys put the leaf in the table at Thanksgiving, and we decided to just leave it in...
also in the kitchen, I have a very old little curio cabinet....where I usually keep our canisters and such...changed it a bit....last year I made this swag using jute, and some faux gingerbread men and donuts....using some homespun and red beads too....I also made a faux plum pudding...





here's a close up of the pudding.......found the right sized mold, using a small unusual shaped bowl (thrift store find) and making paper mache from newspaper (a little messy)...when it was dry, I unmolded it, and put a base coat of white craft paint....when that was dry, I painted it with a prim mixture, walnut stain...and very strong coffee......did that twice, then sealed it with clear shiny modge podge...the "holly" leaves are from that same vintage Christmas quilt..I cut out leaf shapes baking them with felt...and the holly berries are red beads...The basket is one I found at our local thrift shop....see, Grandma was right..you can make something from nothing.


This large snowglobe isn't very old....but its unusual in where I found it.....about 10 years ago, we did the maintenance for our condo association..part of the job was cleaning around the dumpsters...as I was throwing boxes that had accumulated around the area..I picked up one to toss it in, when I noticed it was fairly heavy.....when I opened the box, this large globe was in it.......perfect condition..its a music box also and plays Santa is coming to Town while small figures revolve around the bottom.....a real find!
The runner is one I found at a garage sale for a whole .50..guess they didn't realize barkcloth was so valuable and valued.......
Lastly, another little round table (I think I am addicted to them) with a crocheted tablecloth and a little hurricane candle...

Tomorrow, dog of the week and rescue news....

7 comments:

  1. Everything looks so lovely. Beautifully festive. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fake donuts and gingers look good enough to eat and your tree is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"...at your house! How festive and pretty. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that plum pudding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Penniwig's comment above mine! My sentiments exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joining in admiring your decorations. The snowglobe is great and I adore the runner. So bright and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. look good enough to eat and your tree is awesome!!!!

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  7. ani, oyur house is darling, The clothesline is what I have in mind for the mittens. I need to get busy or the holiday will be over.
    I love to see home decorateing and I bet your re-keying homes is really fun. I am glad you can go with Alan, I usually ride with my DH also when we go somewhere long drive like that. I love to see the Christmas DEcorations everywhere along the way as it turns dark. One fun reason to travel over the holidays to my Mom's in Missouri but not this year. we just havenlt done much, still DR visits weekley it seems. I Hope it ends one of these days. Smiles, I have been thinking of you. Cyndi

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?